We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns hostel recommendations

Manchester
9 posts
Save Topic
Cairns hostel recommendations

Hello,

I'm venturing to Cairns for a few days (from the UK) in May 2013. I've looked at pretty much every hostel available and can't make up my mind where I want to stay, so I'm looking for recommendations. I am travelling solo, female and 24 years old.

What I'm looking for is a reasonably priced hostel, that is social where I can meet lots of people to go out some nights, but not party central (i.e. Gilligans).

I'd obviously prefer the place to be very clean and friendly.

Added bonus would be free breakfast, airport pick-up, good location. I arrive in Cairns at 04:30am so I suppose I may struggle to get a pick-up but the hostel I choose would preferably have either an early check-in or somewhere I can drop my luggage off.

Hostels I have on my short-list at the moment are Dreamtime travellers rest (wasn't sure of the social side?), JJ's, NJoy, Calypso Inn, BHA central and Caravella Backpackers. But please let me know if there's any I've missed that fit the above description.

Any help would be extremely appreciated,

Manchester
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns hostel recommendations

P.S. looking for dorm rooms 4-6 beds either female or mixed

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns hostel recommendations

Hi, If you are looking for something more central and close to town I would suggest The Northern Greenhouse. This place has a great atmosphere, laid back but really close to everything.

The ones that you have mentioned are in slighty dodgy areas where you would want to be walking back to after a night in town. The website is http://www.northerngreenhouse.com.au/

I have stayed there on occasion and always had a clean room and been around friendly people!

Manchester
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns hostel recommendations

Thanks i'll take a look at that one, haven't got it on my list for some reason!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns hostel recommendations

Travellers Oasis has won "Best Hostel in Oz" several times for very good reasons ! From your short list I would suggest either DreamTime or Caravella (in that order), the others I personally would scratch off the list. I have had pretty mixed feedback on the Greenhouse, the biggest complaint being the front desk staff needing to work on their "people skills"

Manchester
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns hostel recommendations

Thanks for your reply, I'll do some more research into all of the suggestions before booking anything :)

6. Re: Cairns hostel recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 07:17