We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July weather

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
July weather

Hi,

I am visiting in July ! What is the weather typically like then? Could you wear shorts ?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July weather

The average July temp is 26 degrees and you can swim safely without fear of stingers and you can eat oysters as well. Wearing shorts depends on where you come from I suppose

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July weather

If it is 19 degrees at home it is considered a warm day!!! Would you recommend staying in cairns or port Douglas ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July weather

Be aware that July is the peak season for the trade winds so this can be an issue of an evening if dining alfresco so you'll need a very lightweight jacket.

Where you stay really is dependent on what you want from your holiday and how long you are there.

can you give us some idea re budget, age group and what you like to do?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July weather

Depends what you are after. Personally I'd go for Port Douglas, its smaller than Cairns and it can be more 'laid back'. The beaches are nicer as well

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July weather

Port Douglas, laid back in July ? Hmmmmmm........

As GurusW has mentioned, which destination is better suited to you depends largely on you and your interests.

In a short sentence describe yourself and your interests and people may be able to answer your question :).

As a perfect example of this statement - I personally prefer Cairns because I think it is more laid back and I think Cairns' 25klm's of beaches leave Port Douglas' 6.4klm beach for dead

Cairns population is just over 150k, Port Douglas is just under 5k. Either of these stats have their pros and cons

Port Douglas is a small resort village where you will find little other then bars and restaurants open after 5pm but is a very pretty little township all the same

It really comes down to what you are looking to get out of your couple of days in FNQ.

6. Re: July weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 06:16