We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

We're a young couple planning to visit Cairns in June this year. We would be there for 3 nights. First day we'll arrive in the morningwe then we'll have two whole days and will leave on the fourth day in the afternoon. We have decided to do a day trip to GBR for snokeling/diving, a tour to Daintree national park/Cape trib and definitely a scenic flight on the GBR. I would appreciate it if anyone suggests companies for these three activities. Thanks.

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Day Trips, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Spirit of Cairns
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

I think the best value for money trips for young people in Cairns ATM are Down Under Dive (Osprey V) for the GBR and Cape Trib Connections for the rain forrest.....

Brooklyn, New York...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

Phatt_TOny - I've got to agree about Cape Trib Connections but Down Under Dive??? They're not called DUD for nothing.

It seriously must be one of the worst dive operations in the country. When I worked in Cairns (last year) we refused to sell it because of the managements bad attitude. They will not refund anyone for any reason what so ever. I wouldn't send my worst enemy out to the reef with them. (unless of course a cyclone was approaching - then I would because Down Under Dive won't cancel a day, even if the safety of it's passengers is at stake - TRUE STORY!!!)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
288 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

I wouldn't recommend Down Under either....that's from knowing people that have worked there and experiences with the company...

Personally I would go with Passions or Paradise or Ocean Free- the staff on both boats will make sure that you have a great day!

Trek North have always been a good option for Cape Trib, really knowledgeable! And we have done the helicopter ride with GBR and it was awesome!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

Agreed, Pepe is a very shrewd business man. He hasn't lasted this long in the game by being "Mr Nice Guy", that's for sure.....

I would recommend DUD simply for the quality of sites they visit and value for money.

I have had many a good day out with Passions and would rate their team as being absolutely FIRST CLASS but personally I think their sites are average at best. I'm very into nature so a small area on a beach covered with birds and the associated smells is great for me but not for everyone and Passion Reef has seen better days.

I think Passions' glory days of face painting and goon lay backs on the return trip were Passions at their best. To me they have lost their sparkle

If I had to choose from one of these two it's Ocean Free all the way !!

and Please PLease PlEaSe PLEASE pLeAsE NEVER talk about poorly managed companies then go on to say in the next paragraph that Trek North are a good option..... I guess you have not endured the delight meeting Leigh ?

Very knowledgeable ? They only have one staff member that has lasted more then a few months in the last 10 years. The company turns over staff like well done steak and it is not because it is a bad tour

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

We did an ATM trip with Down and Dirty Quad Bike Tours out of Kuranda when we stayed in Trinity Beach. I don't know if they pick up from Cairns, but the trip was lots of fun. We went January 2012.

Regarding the reef, we did an all day trip from Cairns with Reef Magic Cruises. It's about 90 minutes each way by boat, but the food was good (buffet) and they have all sorts of activities at the reef. My TA profile picture is from the trip! Good luck!

6. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2013, 21:30
Brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

This is absolute rubbish - they do cancel when weather conditions prevent them which is gale force winds, Have bee on this boat many times in the last few years and it is great value for money. Very unjust comments Did they fire you

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

Thanks everyone. Has anybody tried Seastar cruises or Barrier Aviation for GBR scenic flight?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

Seastar are great.

I don't think Barrier Aviation are flying ATM, CASA pulled the plug on them months ago and I don't think they have been reinstated yet (I hope I am wrong as they are great people)

South Auckland New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling/diving tour, rainforest tour and scenic flight

Hi! I went to Cairns a couple of years ago with a friend and am returning this Oct. We stayed at Citysider Cairns and they offer accommodation/sightseeing packages. Great value, Theresa had tentatively booked all our trips based on weather forecast. It wasn't the order I thought to do the trips in but was spot on. Local knowledge can help to make it really enjoyable. We did the helicopter flight from the out reef pontoon. It was awesome.