We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach in Cairnes??

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
beach in Cairnes??

I know this may be a stupid question, but here goes...I will be visiting at the end of July for 7 days and I am getting conflicted messages about beaches in Cairnes. Are there beaches in Cairnes or do you have to go elsewhere? We are planning to stay at the Oasis Resort...any opinions?

Thanks for any advice! I can't wait to be there!

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach in Cairnes??

There is a man-made beach in Cairns on the Esplanade, but that's it. The proper beaches are to the north - the more popular ones are Trinity Beach, Palm Cove and Port Douglas.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: beach in Cairnes??

Thanks so much! Is the man made beach a good one to lounge on and soak up some rays?? You see the beautiful pictures of the white sand and the very blue water and I wondered if this is how the man made beach is like in Cairnes?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach in Cairnes??

The Esplanade beach is OK to soak up some rays but you may be disappointed if you are expecting a "picture postcard" type beach.

As the previous post said....head north to Trinity Beach, Palm Cove etc....you won't be disappointed.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: beach in Cairnes??

We are doing the usual rainforest and great barrier reef trip. We are not exactly into the whole club/nightlife thing but would like some options on places to go to eat and maybe catch a few drinks. I really only want the beach for a day or two of relaxation, but on the other hand would love to see a "picture postcard" beach. Would we be better off to stay in Cairnes or somewhere else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach in Cairnes??

Consider Palm Cove or Port Douglas for a nice beach. If you want picture postcard stuff, consider southern QLD beaches or Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach in Cairnes??

Gotta agree with surfoz.

If you want to stay up near Cairns then Palm Cove would be my choice.

If you don't care about staying near Cairns then the Whitsunday Islands has what is considered one of the most beautiful unspoilt beaches in Australia (if not the world) in Whitehaven Beach.

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/white…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach in Cairnes??

I also agree with others,

Trinity Beach / Palm Cove or Port Douglas. For extra special unspoilt beaches you cannot go past the Whitsunday Islands.

None of these beaches have surfing waves....flat water...

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: beach in Cairnes??

I have received a lot of great advice, but I have one more question...is it warm enough in the Whitsunday Islands in mid July? We were actually thinking of splitting time between Cairnes and Hamilton Island...what are your thoughts??

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach in Cairnes??

It depends what you mean by "warm enough". Avg daily temperature in Whitsundays in July is max 23C- minimum 16C. That's far too cool for me for a tropical island holiday, it'll be a few degrees warmer in Cairns which is quite a distance north.

Don't expect picture postcard beaches in Far North Queensland - the Barrier Reef is just that, a barrier which stops surf. Coastal beaches south of reef are far more attractive but not so great in July. But do expect picture postcard scenes on Barrier Reef and rainforests, which is what the area is about.

10. Re: beach in Cairnes??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 06:24