We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
6 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

Please give me your opinions on whether you would stay at Port Douglas or Airlie Beach if you had the option?

Is the Great Barrier Reef accessible from both locations?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

Airlie is kinda a backpacker jump about town and PD is more suited to near retirement aged people.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

Easier to get to the outer reef from PD.

Port Douglas is probably more expensive, but my pick every time.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

PD is not only for near retired but also for families with children and honeymooners....and those who are a bit discerning about where they like to stay in NQ

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

I personally think Airlie is visually more stunning then Port Douglas (the surrounds etc, views) but Port Douglas has the better main street area as in restaurants, shops etc....I found everything dearer in Port Douglas but it would still be my pick.

You can do the reef from either location, we went with the larger Quicksilver from Port Douglas that goes to a pontoon ( we had 6 children amongst us), snorkelling was amazing, trip was great nice and smooth...there are smaller boat options from Port Douglas as well.

5. Re: Port Douglas or Airlie Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:18