We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School holidays-Cairns

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
347 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
School holidays-Cairns

HI Folks,

I was reading a post on reef tours that mentioned that, naturally, school holidays are busy times. When are those holidays? We're traveling in Sept-Oct., though if the holidays are online somewhere, that would be handy for many forum readers.

Thanks!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School holidays-Cairns

google is your friend.

australia.com/plan/before-you-go/australian-…

Cairns
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School holidays-Cairns

Last week of September and first week of October are school holidays and therefore a bit busier. Beautiful time to visit Cairns though!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School holidays-Cairns

I agree with JRD63 in that it is a beautiful time of year to visit the area....

If you are trying to avoid the holiday period you also need to factor in that the states don't all break on the same dates and people from the southern states tend to migrate north to get away for the winter tailings.

So, 23rd Sep. ~ 13th Oct.

Also in recent years there is a trend for families (and uni students) to travel just before of just after these break periods to avoid the busy times and in doing so the busy time extends a week either side of these dates.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
347 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School holidays-Cairns

Thanks to all--and crud. Not being an Australian parent, we hadn't planned with local holidays in mind. And Bingo we'll there during them! So, given other postings, I may see about pre-booking Reef trips. I'd just come 'round to thinking we'd wait to see what the weather was when we arrived. But coming from half a world away, I want a good trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: School holidays-Cairns

you should be OK weatherwise in sept - oct. October is pretty much my favourite month in Cairns

6. Re: School holidays-Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16