We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

26 days in Aus

Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
26 days in Aus

Planning on travelling from the UK to Australia next year will have 26 days actually in the country- around October/November time. Would it be possible to fly to Cairns, then see Brisbane, City of Gold Coast (must stop here for 5 nights as my son is there for the year), Sidney, and fly out from Melbourne.

Firstly is that realistic and will approx. 5 days at each of the cities be ample? Is there any places that I should have less/more time and is there anything major that we have missed out- plan on stopping that side of Australia.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 26 days in Aus

Yes this is very doable, 5 days in each place is good.

However if you are spending 5 days on the Gold Coast I would skip Brisbane (it is only an hour or so away and you could do a day trip if you want to check it out).

You could then add another location - as you said you wanted to stay on the east I would recommend Tasmania.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 26 days in Aus

That sounds fine to me, and ShazDwn's alternative sounds good too, or you could put Canberra between Sydney and Melbourne, it just depends on your interests.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 26 days in Aus

I agree that this is a good itinerary and agree with ShazDwn that you can easily combine Gold Coast and Brisbane into 5 days.

Something to take note - November in Cairns is starting to get towards the hot humid part of the year up there - so expect warm humid weather. Stinger season starts in November too. If you're starting your holiday in Cairns you may want to investigate flying straight there rather than spending 3.5 hrs backtracking from Sydney or longer from Melbourne. You may be able to transit through somewhere in Asia and get a flight straight there (some flights are seasonal but have a look round).

Tasmania is beautiful but with only 5 days or so you can't see that much, so you'll have to stick to a small area - perhaps Hobart, Freycinet and Port Arthur. If you want to go to Tasmania, fly straight there from Sydney and then fly to Melbourne and end your trip there to avoid backtracking.

If not Tasmania, perhaps think about adding a couple of days outside the main cities. Blue Mountains is not far from Sydney and a few days there will let you enjoy the beautiful landscapes, the Great Ocean Road is a good option for a few days out of Melbourne, or alternatively Canberra is an option for a few days if you want to see our "bush capital" and its museums and public buildings. Hunter Valley (for wines) or South Coast (around Jervis Bay) (for beautiful beaches and coast lines) are some other options from Sydney and both will be lovely in late spring. It all depends on what you like, I suppose. Let us know if you have particular interests or things you want to see.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 26 days in Aus

Sounds perfectly realistic to me but you could skip Brisbane (or spend fewer days here) and more time at Gold Coast with your son, or in Melbourne - not been to Brisbane myself but many friends have and say it's not quite as good as Melb/Syd (sorry Brisbaners, didn't come from me!)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 26 days in Aus

Your itinerary looks doable to me. I also agree - take more time on the Gold Coast with your son & just have a day/ night in Brisbane so you at least can see some of the major attractions. Its a good city to explore in a day.

Take a direct flight to Cairns from Singapore as it will save you time in travelling through Sydney.

6. Re: 26 days in Aus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:18