We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Cove or Port Douglas

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central Coast
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Palm Cove or Port Douglas

We thinking of either staying at Palm Cove or Port Douglas, last time we hit palm cove 13 years ago their wasn't outside of the resorts, just local neigbourhood. Never been to port d, so wondering is their more to do outside the resorts than just seeing the locals and houses they live in?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

Port Douglas is basically Palm Cove on steroids. I have never really understood why so many people here say they "prefer" PD over Cairns. There is really nothing there other then a beach that you can't swim in for 6 months a year and lots of expensive resorts...... I can think of many more interesting places in the world to visit if your interest in spending too much money on a bed to sleep in !! :)

Edited: 04 September 2013, 02:52
Central Coast
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

Yeh i hear you, but it's more just for the resort factor and we'll be using it as a base to do a number of off site day trips.

Last time we went to noosa all the kids did was play in the pool, we were right on the beach, they didnt step foot on the beach once.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

>using it as a base to do a number of off site day trips. <

If you are planning to go to the reef, the rainforest etc it is along drive back and forth to Palm Cove each day. I'd stay in Port Douglas

Central Coast
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

whats the driving distances from cairns to palm cove and then on to port douggie.

Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
36 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

From cairns to palm cove.. probably 25 minutes and then another 30 onto Port Douglas from palm cove.

It's a beautiful drive to PD though :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

Boats to the reef leave from Cairns and Port Douglas. If you are taking a tour, they will pick you up in Palm Cove, but most of the tours charge extra for that.

Port Douglas also has a market, Sunday if I remember correctly. We really enjoyed it, and I still regret not buying some of the unique jewelry I saw there.

I guess it depends what you will be doing on your days there. Heading up to the Daintree, or shopping in Cairns?

Taking the train to Kuranda? Hartley's Crocodile Farm? Visiting the Atherton Tablelands? Or just going to relax and enjoy the beaches... except during stinger season!

We stayed in Palm Cove for a week and really enjoyed the quiet. January, stinger season, so no swimming, but still liked walking along the beach.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

Hi Hardstl

If you want the beach either would be good, but you are leaving the best beaches behind on the C/C When are you thinking of coming???? if it is in the stringer season i would be picking Cairns.

Regards mosiewigs

Central Coast
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

What happened to the COCONUT RAINFOREST RETREAT at Cape Tribulation?

That place was something quite special but recently I was up there on the bloomfield and I couldn't find it anywhere. However I did notice a resort which looked like it had been blocked off/shut down...

Central Coast
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

We hit Cairn then Port Douglas.

Havn't been up there since 2000.

WOW how things have changed hey in 14 years. Amazing.

I love that place.

10. Re: Palm Cove or Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:18