We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hull
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

First visit any recommendations welcome. Would like to go to the rainforest and also husband wants to go snorkelling. Do we need a car and where to stay also what will weather be like

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

It will probably be wet, I'm sorry - February is usually one of the wettest months of the year. I've just done a bit of research for another post - in the past three years we have had an average of only 6 rain-free days during February. But on the other hand we also love the wet season as there really is nothing like the sight, sound and smell of warm, torrential tropical rain. Unfortunately it can also mean occasional flooding of some mostly minor roads, although the water goes down fast when the rain stops.

I suggest you base yourselves in, say, Port Douglas (closer to Daintree and the reef) or Cairns (also close to the reef but further from the rainforest), hire a car, watch the weather forecasts and enjoy yourselves accordingly! You don't need to book anything in advance as it's the quietest visitor time of the year and you may even find some good bargains with accommodation and tours.

Hull
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

Will pack our wellies! Thank you some really good info and the rainforest should be good.

. Would you recommend any tours

. Wihat sort of temperature should we expect.

.would you hire car from the airport

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

Another vote for hiring a car as it gives you more flexibility & freedom to go at your own pace. Plus its very easy to drive in the region as the roads are all in good condition & well sign posted.

Hire a car at the airport - & drive to Port Douglas takes approx. 1hr.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 23:32
Hull
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

Will my husband be able to snorkel at this time of year due to the weather. Any itinerary ideas for 4 nights would be appreciated.

5. Re: Cairns 4 days 10 - 14 feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:18