We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around Australia with a young family

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Travelling around Australia with a young family

Hi,

I have a similar thread going in the Melbourne forum but as I am travelling to different areas I thought it better to ask individually.

I will be coming to Australia, my first visit, in January for 4 weeks with my wife and son (at the time he will be 7 months old). I will be spending 4-5 days in sydney during this trip and was wanting some general info about the city.

What advice can you offer regarding tours to the Barrier Reef? Is it ok to take babies on the boat.

Also with having a young child with us we wont be looking too much into the nightlife but I would like some info regarding child friendly pubs etc where we could grab a reasonably priced beer and some food at the end of a days sight seeing.

Also I have seen that there are public barbecues dotted all around, how do these work? I want to spend as much time outdoors as possible even when eating so if i have the chance to stick a couple of pieces of meat on the BBQ instead of going to a cafe/restaurant i'll be doing it.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Mark

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling around Australia with a young family

I did not mean to put Sydney on this post, I forgot to edit when I copied and pasted from another post, its meant to read "spend a few days in Cairns flying in from Melbourne".

Mark

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
213 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling around Australia with a young family

Taking your bub on the boat may be somewhat of a handful as you will not be able to take your eyes of him for more then a second all day. At 7 months they are not real "fast on their feet" but there is deep water in every direction. It will also mean you need to split the dive/snorkel time with your wife at each site while the significant other watches over the boy...... Other then that there will be no issues (and a relative small sacrifice to care for your new bundle of joy).

I would encourage you to mention how young he is when placing a booking with the company you decide to travel with. It is very unlikely there will be any charge for your infant but that will give the operator a chance to tell you if they feel their vessel is not suitable.

During the time of day / early evening you are likely to be taking your young boy for a beer at the pub (his first, I assume !?) I wouldn't foresee any bar giving you grief about having the young one in tow. Many Australian bars have a "family room"

The BBQ's are free, you just push the button and it heats up. They get a lot of use so clean them well before/after use and get there early to make sure they are not all in use when you want to eat.....

Enjoy Australia !!

P.s. Have you considered Port Douglas ? (Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't bother !! It just seems to be the first response people post instead of actually answering your question.......)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling around Australia with a young family

One little tip for using those public bbq's is you can get special mats that go on the bbq that you can cook on just in case you are more fussy about how clean your bbq is. Avail at any camp shop.

I have taken our kids on the reef boats at that age. Yes, you have to watch them well, but if you want to snorkel and enjoy the reef then it can be done. The larger operators have underwater viewing places and you can hop in the water with your baby in a floaty device . perfectly safe .

How long have you allowed in that area? Lots of options for accom and trips up into the Daintree area.

Many pubs have beer gardens and bistros. Kids are allowed in these - but not at the bar area.

Not a problem. Its ust later in the eve when all the families go home that it gets lively.

4. Re: Travelling around Australia with a young family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 06:20