We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daintree or Kuranda?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Daintree or Kuranda?

If I only have time to do one day trip - should we choose Daintree or Kuranda? We are family of 7 - 3 adults; 2 seniors (65+ years), 2 kids below 7... staying in Cairns.. and this area is our first stop from the US on our 10 day trip around Australia.

I keep reading the Daintree is great.. and Kuranda is nice also but touristy (but so what.. we are tourists.. so what's wrong with that?!)

We are staying at Cairns - and so Kuranda seems easier to get to.. shorter drive etc. But is Daintree really really better.. a 'must' visit vs. Kuranda? Help!

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Day Trips, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Spirit of Cairns
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

tripadvisor.com.au/…14754139

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255070-i737-k4…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g499639-i9651-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g499650-i9772-k…

These earlier posts should give you a variety of points of view.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

For kids

Kuranda as the skyrail gives them a buzz

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

Thanks..

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

Thanks.. I'll check the other posts you have suggested.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

Everything I read says Daintree is better than Kuranda.. but with the younger kids.. I'm SO tempted to visit Kuranda..........it's seems like tough choice.

So another question - we actually arrive into Cairns around 1 pm (after a 20 hour journey from the US).. are there any other shorter visits around cairns you would suggest for 2-3 hours? (I understand from the Kuranda train / skyrail schedules that we will not be able to do that visit in 1/2 day.. the train leaves from Cairns FOR kuranda 8:30 am / 9/:30 am only.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

Kids may not like the train (one of mine does trains the other runs a mile)

After 20 hours just spend time on the esplanade

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

The Cairns Botanical Gardens are great and worthy of a couple of hours.

Or head out to Palm Cove and have a swim and a laze around on the beach.

After 20 hours you probably won't feel like doing anything too energetic.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

Hi i think we could help you better if we know what you would like to see than we can give you some ideas

Regards mosiewigs

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,113 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

I enjoyed the Daintree AND our trip to Kuranda, but they are so very different. The thing is, the trip to the Daintree is an all day affair. There are lots of stops to make on the drive up there, including the village, a tour on the river, the ferry ride, the ice cream stop!!!, the Discovery Center, and Cape Tribulation. Oh, and Mossman Gorge too! It can easily be a 12 hour day. But with two kids under 7, I wouldn't want to spend that much time in the car with them. You know your kids best though....

Kuranda is indeed a tourist destination, but a lot of fun. More opportunities to sit and enjoy some tea, a picnic lunch, hold a koala, pick up souvenirs. And the train ride is fun too. You can catch the train right in Cairns. The ride down on the skyrail does end north of Cairns. The skyrail also offers some amazing views of Cairns and further.

What time of year are you traveling? Thinking about when stinger season starts.... no swimming in the ocean!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daintree or Kuranda?

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.. we had a lovely trip to the Carins area.. and spent our 2nd day on a long but fantastic day trip to Daintree..