We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

melbourne australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We're first timers to Kakadu and are not sure whether to stay over 1, 2 or 3 nights, arriving on 23 August. We thought about Lakeview Park in Jabiru or Gagudju Lodge in Cooinda but are not sure which is more central or more enjoyable. We think we'd probably only want to stay over one night if the distances to travel around to get a general overview of the area are not too great. We certainly intend to do the Yellow River boat cruise, most likely on the afternoon we arrive and maybe plan to see bits and pieces on our way out? the next day.... not sure if this is feasible or not. We're certainly not bushwalkers or active sporty types, but we do really love the top end birdlife. I'd be most grateful to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip - particularly in relation to the accommodation. By the time we arrive in Kakadu we would have already spent 5 nights in Darwin proper, so we'll be well and truly acclimatised - this will be our second trip to Darwin, but our first to Kakadu. Thanks.....

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

I suggest you post this on either the Kakadu National Park or the Darwin forum - Cairns is a very long way from Kakadu!

darwin
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Toffolous,I have a few suggestions for you to ponder. Leaving Darwin early in the morning. I would stop at Fogg Dam on the way to Kakadu. It is very popular with bird watchers and has a viewing deck as well as raised timber walkways over the floodplains.(Free and well signed with easy access) Next at Windows on the Wetlands, gives a great view and interesting facts on wildlife. From memory there is no addmission fee.There is also another large bird viewing deck on the way to Kakadu. I can"t remember the name of it but is very well signed and you would be unlikely to miss it.( on the right travelling out to Kakadu)I suggest stay at Cooinda, particularly if you want to do the yellow water cruise. A free shuttle will take you to boat from hotel,caravan/camping area. There is usually some type of free entertainment at night as well. I think one night will cover the basics and on the way back to darwin you could do the Jumping Croc Cruise at Adelaide River if you haven't already. Definately worth a look. Also on the way back Nourlangie Rock is worth a look bit of a walk nothing to strenous though. Hope this helps and happy holidaying in Darwin.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Hi darwinlyn - as this message was posted in 2006 I, er, think they might have been and gone by now! But I'm sure your advice will be very helpful to other visitors.

darwin
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

OOPPPPPS oh god ... I must remember to check dates..thanks.

5. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 06:23