We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise trip

Wollongong
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cruise trip

Hi

I will take my parents (80 years plus) and son ( < 2 years old). Do you recommend cruise to outer GBR is a good idea? If so, which boat is better? SeaStar or Reef Magic

Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,512 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise trip

Not knowing your family, I can't say whether a trip to the GBR is a good idea for you all. It's a fantastic experience for snorkelers (as I am) and I understand that non-snorkelers can enjoy it too if they are on the right kind of trip. Do be aware that it's a long day (7 - 8 hours at least) and the ride to the Outer Reef (90 minutes) can be rough especially for those that suffer from sea sickness. (However, the proper precautions for sea sickness can make that a non-issue.)

If you do decide to go to the Outer Reef, I would not consider SeaStar a good choice. It's a small boat with no space for a young child and the only non-swimming activitiy is a 30-minute glass bottom boat ride. Reef Magic, on the other hand, goes to a fixed pontoon (more space) and offers not only glass bottom boat rides, but semi-submersible rides and an underwater viewing platform. There should be more for everyone in your family to see and do on this trip.

Edited: 18 January 2014, 17:23
Wollongong
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise trip

Thank you Longhorn74.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
642 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise trip

If the wind conditions are good (that is less than 10 knots), I would recommend Reef Magic .

They have a large floating pontoon that will ensure comfort for your older parents.

If the weather is not right , I would recommend a trip to Green Island , here the boat disembarks on a fixed wharf and you are well protected on solid ground.

Wollongong
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise trip

Excellent, Eddie and Judi

5. Re: cruise trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:17