We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunshine and temperature

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Sunshine and temperature

I know there have been a few postings about weather recently but I wonder if somebody could give me more detailed advice.

I'm coming to Cairns on 9th March for just over 2 weeks and don't really know what to pack as its my first time to Oz and I don't want to transport a huge case.

Am I likely to be able to get some sunny days, is it likely to rain constantly, how warm will it be day/ night/ do I need wellies??????

I know that nobody can make predictions this far ahead but maybe forumites could give me some ideas so I can start thinking about packing. Also, how bad are mossies?

Thanks, in anticipation of response.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunshine and temperature

Hi startlightlily!

I live in Australia but have just returned from a 2 week honeymoon in Cairns and Port Douglas.

You will be there during the wet season which you obviously seem aware however pack your bathers!!! The weather temperature wise is still beautiful, expect warm and very humid but still great swimming weather.

Make sure you pack lots of thin clothing, nothing like jeans as you will just be way too comfortable. The top end of Australia during this time still hits approx 27-30 degrees Celsius ow ever humidity can hit 100% which makes it ultra sticky!

Rain can hit at any time during the day and it will either come in a mass or in dribs and drabs. Either way it does not ruin most things you do.

Be aware however, far North Queensland over the past few weeks have been hit and/or had several warnings of cyclones so in certain areas we could not get to due to boulders from cliffs falling on train tracks or roads. A lot of cloud cover unfortunately stopped us from doing a helicopter tour however do not be disheartened as there's still so much to do. (Nothing to worry about cyclones either if you aren't familiar, they have these warnings every wet season).

If you need any further advise, don't hesitate to ask.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunshine and temperature

Oh by the way... Mozzies are disgusting and HORRIBLE. I am covered in them at the moment and they are having a horrible season for them at the moment so please get lots of repellant!

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunshine and temperature

Ah thank you Brooke. This is reassuring but did you manage to do any sunbathing?

Also, could you swim in the sea without a wetsuit. I'm worried about stingies?

Congrats on marriage by the way. I hope you'll be very happy.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunshine and temperature

During our first week we didn't do much swimming, it was raining but personally I would've loved to have still been in the pool!

The last week it was sun all round to plenty of sunbathing options.

DO NOT swim in the beaches in far North Queensland without a suit unless you are swimming within the stinger nets. They have special areas where you can swim however it's not only them... There are crocodiles so I am sure you wouldn't want to swim with them.

If you were going out to the reef it's safe however you still need to wear the suits

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunshine and temperature

Hello! We were in Cairns this past March - had a wonderful time! It was warm so light clothing as suggested. It was rainy off and on and then sunny all in the same day - never rainy enough or long enough to spoil plans. We took rain jackets that fold up small for travel and kept them in our day packs to pull out as needed. You could slso carry a travel umbrella Also sandals or some other footwear that can handle damp are good. You don't want wet socks all day!

Cairns has more of a waterfront than a beach but there is a nice large outdoor pool that is safe for swimming. When you go out to the reef, the tour boots provide stinger suits which we used but didn't seem too worried about stingers there.

If you can, I highly recommend taking a day or two to see the rainforest. We went on a day trip w Wilderness Eco Safaris and loved it - we still talk about it! Have a fabulous time!

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunshine and temperature

Hi Starlightlily

Iam a local the temp will be around 25

overnight to around 30 during the day yes it will be very humid and aim sure you will see some SUN also could be lots of rain

You will need light clothing nothing to heavy and maybe a umberella

Yes the mozzies are around also the sand flies so just make sure you spray repellant

At this time of the year you will need a stinger suit to swim they are available on the boats that go out to the reef should you go in the ocean at the beaches please swim in the nets only

There is the local lagoon swimming area on the esplanade in Cairns city which is free to use

I hope you have a lovely holiday in Far North Queensland

Regards mosiewigs

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunshine and temperature

Just remember your in the tropics so even if it's overcast the UV rating is still high to extreme so you will burn! Use your block out 30+ sunburn in the first few days is not what you want. The locals tend to go to the tablelands at this time of year, swimming in a waterfall in the rain forest ain't too bad? A long day at the beach? Sit in the shade you'll still tan from the reflection from the sand and your wanders to the water. Reccomend "Raid" brand insect repellent especially for sand fly's but they are worst at dawn and dusk only if you are on sand, if you lie on the sand at this time, you will be called spot.

8. Re: Sunshine and temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:18