We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Tour Help Needed

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
200 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Reef Tour Help Needed

We are staying in Trinity Beach in April and need help picking reef tour that leaves out of Cairns.We plan to snorkel and my husband might try a beginner dive. My daughters are strong swimmers, but don't love snorkeling. A few in our group are prone to seasickness, and we don't want that to ruin the experience. We are considering Reef Magic, Seastar and Ocean Freedom but are open to other suggestions.

Which tour would be best to avoid seasickness? Which would be best for unenthusiastic snorkelers? How long should we allow to drive from Trinity Beach to the Cairns reef terminal and park?

Thanks for the help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reef Tour Help Needed

Any tour to the "Low Isles".

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reef Tour Help Needed

I have been out with reef magic. They came to pick me up in a shuttle van at about 7.30 am to take me and others to cairns..I have been on smaller boats and got very quesy, nausea etc because of the rocking and looking over the side, but not on the reef magig boat. It was very stabele and fast. My tips for gaurding against seasickness is have a light breaky of fruit, and sit toward the front in the middle and look out straight ahead to the horizon, not over the side. It happens becaus ethe fluid in the inner ear is unbalanced....if it happens chew on some buderim naked ginger, sip some ginger tea and go to bed early.

now to my day out on the reef magic poontoon...I have never been snorkling in my life, cant swim and was a bit scared. I paid extra for a lesson, and the instructor was patient and after half an hour I was off on mu own. In fact I was the last one out of the water at lunch. Great buffet lunch nice fresh saleds etc. There are private dive lessons. And then there is the semi sub to go for a ride in to see the coral, and the huge big fish wally comes each afternoon to side of pontoon where you can sit on a bench to feed him...the little kids loved it. I noticed there was kids entertainment at the front of the boat where kids were called to join in, so I sat a few rows behind them...we were all fine..I knew the man was doing this to prevent seasickness, as he made them all look straight ahead at him. The boat stays out there all day, and you can buy a locker to put your purse, car keys, camera etc in while out swimming.....I felt a sense of achievment swimming with the beautiful fish and seeing such a wonderous place .....I really had a good time....highly recommended. There is an option to get the helicopter home if you want to splash out even more...lol♡

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reef Tour Help Needed

Thanks for the responses and all the information on Reef Magic. That's the tour that we're leaning towards.

How long was the shuttle ride into Cairns? We're probably going to rent a car because there are 4 of us.

Thanks!

Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reef Tour Help Needed

if you're out at Trinity Beach renting a car is good - it could cost $80-$100 extra in transfers for 4 people into the Marina using the boats transfer services.

5. Re: Reef Tour Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:15