We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

ca.
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

Staying in Fitzroy Island for a week in sept. There is only one place to eat.Is there a ferry pass to cairns so we can eat at other places?What is there to do on the Island? I love Snorkeling

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

As far as I know there are only 3 ferry services a day from Cairns to Fitzroy Island, the last leaving from Cairns at 1.30pm. It's also a 45 minute trip one way, that's a pretty long round trip just for lunch.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

We loved our stay on Fitzroy Island. It was so beautiful and relaxing!

There are two places to eat. There's a casual beach bar which caters to guests, day visitors and campers serving lunch and dinner, and the restaurant in the main resort complex serving breakfast and dinner. I think the pool bar might also serve snacks during the day.

Are you staying in a fully contained suite or a room? If in the fully self-contained suite, you could bring some groceries from the mainland and cook for yourselves sometimes. We brought over snacks - fresh fruit, crackers and cheese, chips, chocolate, etc - but bought our meals from both the restaurant and the beach bar.

The ferry only runs a few times a day so it's not really an option to go across to Cairns and back just for meals, although I guess you could make a whole day of it during your trip.

In terms of things to do, snorkelling is good. The activity centre will be able to show you various different spots for snorkelling. Our favourite thing to do was to walk over to Nudey Beach and snorkel around the granite headland back to the main beach in front of the bar - lots of brightly-coloured fish and soft corals. Contact the resort about equipment hire fees. When we were there 1.5 years ago we found the hire rates a bit high so we didn't do as much snorkelling as we would have liked but things may have changed since then as I think at that point the resort owners were still relatively new to it. It may even be cheaper to hire gear from the mainland and it bringing it over with you, so worth checking. There were also sea kayaks for hire and because the water is so calm on the inland side that's a lovely way to spend a couple of hours. There's also diving and glass bottom boat tours.

Fitzroy Island is a national park and there are some walks on the island …qld.gov.au/parks/fitzroy-island/index.html.

For us, it was about relaxing and unwinding so we did some snorkelling and some walking/exploring but also enjoyed sitting on the beach reading and taking in the gorgeous surrounds.

Here's my review from our stay in August 2012: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255077-d…

ca.
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

Thank you for you message :-) . We decided to cancel our booking tomorrow, and stay in cairns and take a day trip to Fitzory Island for 1/2 the price. They charge guest $69 each way per person. But if your not a guest you can take a day trip for 69.Now we are going to the zoo to pet a koala,going to the outer rim of the great barrier reef,and would like to do more.Do you know of anything else we could?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

Lots to do in and around Cairns, have a look at my trip list:

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i16655-Great…

ca.
Level Contributor
93 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

Thank you so much I will look in to it.I would like to go to The Rainforest Station to cruise on the river,and hold a Koala and see the alborigina is that the best place to go see all?

6. Re: Staying in hotel in Fitzroy Island for a week is there a pas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 05:16