We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns weather over Easter?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Cairns weather over Easter?

Hi

I am going to the Cairns region for over a week over Easter. I've just seen the weather forescast which seems abit scary. I'm just wondering if we should cancel our trip, does anyone know how bad is it over there at the moment? We are going to the Daintree for a couple of days and were planning a lot of outdoor activities, I know its over a week away but starting to panic a little bit.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

Well there is a massive cyclone about to make landfall which is why the weather at the moment looks so scary. It will be well over by next week though. We are also going to the area over Easter and aren't concerned yet, looks like there will be a bit more rain than you would expect at this time of year but we're just going to roll with it and have some back up plans for wet weather days.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

It really depends on where the system goes and how much rain it will bring and the path it takes. They can always turn back/ around etc go out to sea and loiter.

I would be waiting until next week to see what the fallout ( literally) has been damage wise and then assess.

You can get rain following cyclones etc, but it still is over a week away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

it will have cleared by then though a few wet days are in order but it will be hot rain.

You can follow it here

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Remember the rain forest in the rain is a truely magical place.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

I would be very concerned.

Whilst the cyclone is likely to hit further north the subsequent storm surge is expected to be significant with considerable flooding.

My parents are packing up and leaving their northern beaches home and don't expect to be home for days. The northern roads are prone to flooding including the highway north. I would expect the Daintree area to be significantly impacted.

we will all know a lot more later today and tomorrow

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

Fabulous weather on the cards for Easter, no worries!

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

A wonderful forecast this morning for the Easter weekend - nearly everywhere is back to normal and it's business as usual!

All you will probably notice is damage to trees and vegetation, all now rapidly being cleared away - and in the tropics everything grows so fast that in a month or two the trees will be happily shooting again and the damage will 'disappear'

Sadly our sugar cane farmers have been among the worst-affected (also a huge banana plantation owned by the Aboriginal community) as a bumper crop was due to start being harvested next month - now much of the crop has been flattened which makes it almost impossible to cut.

Otherwise everyone is breathing a huge sigh of relief!!!

7. Re: Cairns weather over Easter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 06:17