We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

Bedlington, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

My wife and I - now in our 60's are planning to be in Cairns for about a week at the start of November. Main reason has to be the GBR.

However we want to see the reef from a boat, not swim or snorkel, and many of the trips seem to assume or focus on the snorkelling or swimming.

Also we would like to see some of the countryside/wildlife

Roger

Seastar Cruises Reef Day Trips
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours
Reef Teach
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

Are you planning to hire a car ?? IMO you are best to rent a car as its very easy to drive around this region.

Is there a reason for not wanting to snorkel ??

Points of interest -

Kuranda

Daintree National Park

http://www.daintreerainforest.com/

Cape Tribulation

Atherton Tablelands

http://www.athertontablelands.com.au/

cairnstoursaustralia.com.au/tours/…1-day-tour

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre, Northern Territory
Level Contributor
738 posts
1,948 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

Hi Roger,

Since Cairns is located in the tropics, it has a warm humid climate.

It is also the start of the build up to the wet season, especially from late October onwards to around March and sometimes beyond which is when you are wanting to travel, so be prepared.

What we did, and from memory, an outer reef tour from Port Douglas does include viewing from a glass bottom boat, option of a helicopter flight and includes a great seafood lunch.

From Cairns, check out:

cairnsdiveadventures.com/cairns-reef-tours/…

Kuranda and Daintree as mentioned above, are great suggestions.

The Sky rail to Kuranda, an army duck tour through the swamp, Butterfly world, Crystal cave or Barron falls, then you take the train back down through the rainforest.

Visit:

cairnsinfo.com/cairns-tours/…

Hartley's crocodile farm, Mosman gorge and especially, breakfast with the birds, which is just before the right hand turn-off between the Daintree and Port Douglas, is fabulous.

Port Douglas is only 80km from Cairns.

Bedlington, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

Thanks for the ideas folks, will look at them, reason for not snorkelling is I can't swim......

Roger

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

I would check out the following two companies for trips to the GBR for non-swimmers. They each: 1) go to a fixed pontoon on the Outer Reef; 2) offer glass bottom boat rides and semi-submersible rides, 3) have an underwater viewing platform and 4) get excellent reviews here on Trip Advisor. Reef Magic is based in Cairns and Quicksilver is based in Port Douglas.

http://www.reefmagiccruises.com/

http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

We went on the Wilderness Eco Safari about a year ago and are still talking about it - we had an amazing time. Kevin was highly entertaining as well as knowledgeable (used to be a park ranger) and all around good bloke. He takes a small group up into the rainforest and then over the Great Dividing Range on remote trails. We hardly saw another soul. It was so beautiful and we loved seeing natural Australia through an Aussie's eyes.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

Hi Roger

I can't really swim but I love to snorkel. I dare not go too deep but with snorkel mask, flipper and life jacket or floatation device, I'm comfortable in the water. I haven't try at GBR yet, hoping to do it soon. Just my 2 cents.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

Glass bottom boat is an excellent alternative if u cannot swim. Check out Longhorn's suggestions for tour companies.

8. Re: GBR and Cairns hinterland - non swimming suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:16