We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuranda in early June

Houston, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kuranda in early June

My husband and I (and our 2 sons, ages 8 & 11) will be in Cairns and Port Douglas for the first time in early June. We planned to take the kids to Kuranda, but I just learned that the sky rail will be closed for maintenance while we are there. Is it still worth doing if we have to take the train roundtrip? I saw one reviewer comment that the train is long, slow, and boring. My kids are past the "whee, we're on a train!" stage.

Thanks for your help!

Nara, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuranda in early June

I've been on the train and it is pretty long but the scenery is nice. At one point, everyone is allowed off to take photos. That being said, it may be boring for children. How about if you brought a game along?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuranda in early June

If you want to see Kuranda why not hire a car and drive up? That way you can plan your timing to suit your family.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuranda in early June

The train trip is interesting enough in its own right with onboard commentary about the history of the rail line, and the views on the way up are pretty good. I think it was around 75 minutes from Freshwater Station to Kuranda. We did the trip up in April 2014 with our kids aged 8 and 12.

There is plenty to do in Kuranda itself (although a lot is quite "touristy"), and I'm sure that with some research you could find a tour company that offers a one way transfer from Kuranda back down to Cairns.

Good luck.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuranda in early June

I have to agree with Shaz-drive up. At $184 for the cheapest return family ticket, you can rent a very nice car for the day and have change left over for lunch. There's still plenty of spots on the way to take in the views. You can then spend as much or as little time in Kuranda as you like, and call in at scenic spots like Barron Falls on the way back.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,514 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuranda in early June

Another vote for hiring a car & driving up... its all very easy & you will enjoy it more & so too will the kids.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 02:53
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuranda in early June

Hi, I have the same question. We are spending lots of $$$ on other tours so hoping to hire a car and self drive in and around to Kuranda rather than take the skyrail/railway etc.

Can anyone suggest the best stops whilst self driving to stop at for the lookouts?

We plan to stop at: Caravonica Lake, Barron Falls Lookout, Wrights Lookout and possibly down to Glacier Rock lookout.

Is there any other lookouts or views we can stop at along this circuit?

7. Re: Kuranda in early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17