We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

8 posts
Save Topic
Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

My husband and I are travelling to Cairns this October. Is Quicksliver the best reef cruise to take or there are better ones? We are interested in introductory level scuba diving and snorkelling. As this is our first visit to reef i want it to be the best.

Falla Reef Trips
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Reef Teach
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Spirit of Freedom
Multi-day Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Water Sports
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,135 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

Quicksilver goes to fixed pontoon so people go to the same areas day after day, lots of people. I suspect there would be less human damage tonthecreef on a smaller boat going to different areas.

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

Does these smaller boats have semi-submersibles with them?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,725 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

No, you will only find the semi-submersibles with the boats that go to a fixed pontoon (Quicksilver out of Port Douglas or Reef Magic out of Cairns.)

I, too, would not recommend Quicksilver or Reef Magic unless you were traveling with someone who cannot/will not get in the water. If you want to snorkel and dive, you should go out with a smaller boat. IMHO, having gone out with several different companies, I would choose Wavelength out of Port Douglas. However, they are a snorkel-only boat and do not offer introductory dives. If you want to do an intro dive, then check out Calypso or Poseidon out of Port Douglas as they offer this and get excellent reviews. There are also smaller boats out of Cairns which offer intro dives.

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

Thank you so much for the prompt reply :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

I went with Reef Magic and it was pretty good. It is a larger boat which was handy because it was quite rough getting out to the reef and back. They tie up to a pontoon, which the seasick backpackers appreciated. The lunch was excellent and there was plenty of shade. You have a choice of snorkelling around a roped off area or you can do guided "adventure" snorkelling trips around the outside of the reef for an additional fee. The roped off area is best if you are unsure of your snorkelling ability. I chose this operator because my wife was not confident with a snorkel but she was fine.

Sure, it is a bit touristy but, although I go to Cairns for work sometimes, I was there on holidays and therefore technically a tourist. As a bonus I met lots of interesting people from all over the world.

6. Re: Best Reef Cruise from Cairns/Port Duglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:15