We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

Hey all,

Am planning my first trip to Aussie by doing a 15 days road trip in late June. As this would be a solo road trip, would appreciate any comments or feedback and if the trip is worth having. Planning to fly into Cairns and fly out from Sydney.

Day 1-2 Cairns

Day 3 Townsville

Day 4-5 Airlie Beach

Day 6 Rockhampton

Day 7 Rainbow Beach

Day 8 Sunshine Coast

Day 9-10 Brisbane

Day 11-12 Gold Coast / Newcastle

Day 13-15 Sydney

Any idea how much food and fuel i should be budgeting? I have heard that fuel cost in Australia is quite expensive. As beautiful & diverse australia looks from where am from, as being an asian heritage, will i be running into any issues in the smaller towns?

Thanks!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

Looking at that I wouldn't. Not enough time in Cairns, not enough time in Sydney, not really much time anywhere, I don't really understand what you mean between Brisbane and Sydney but that looks rushed to me. If you want to do a road trip during your visit why not identify one section, or a loop, that is really interesting to you, rather than trying to drive the whole distance? Just my opinion, see what others have to say.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 07:23
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

so, thats about 9 different places to stay.

minimum 2500kms at about $1.70 per litre for petrol

Have you mapped it out based on things you would like to see of that is supposed to be a picturesque drive?

If you like driving and constanly moving then do it, I have done that drive and dont personally see that you will get to see many of the best parts as you simply will not have enough time. You should not drive at night as well, esp in the QLD section as many parts of the higway are single lane and its very tiring driving in these consitions with very large trucks driving on your tail.

You need to look at how much you can afford as a starting point. I would be flying sections and only choosing say 3-4 places maximum so that i saw each place well and not just drive through.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

Thanks for your post guys. Appreciate the advice about driving at night.

I will definitely look at making some adjustments to my plan... Originally was going to do Cairns to Brisbane however didn't really wanted to miss out on Sydney, since i don't really travel long haul. (hate long flights)...

I've heard that the weather in late June to mid July is quite cool in Cairns and obviously colder down in Sydney. Do people actually go sun bathing during those months in the upper Queensland area?

King Island...
Level Contributor
353 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

the weather in cairns in june / july is in the mid 20s and is very pleasant , people from the southern states tend to migrate north during the winter to escape the cold ,however the further south you go the cooler it gets , enjoy your trip [yes people do go sun bathing in the north of queensland down as far as the new south wales border ]

5. Re: Cairns 15 days road trip to Sydney. Should I?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:17