We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Hi everyone, first time posting here so here goes. I am heading up to Cairns from 7th-31st July 2014 (in a couple of week's) with my 10 year old daughter. Hotel and hire car is all sorted. We come up every year and do the usual touristy things, problem is we have just about run out of things to do. I was thinking of buying a couple of push bikes and doing a bit of riding but there doesn't seem to be too many bike paths etc ( I don't like riding on the road ). I have looked into doing a bit of fishing on the Barron river ( Barron river boat hire ). Is this the go or are there some better one's? I don't mind having to drive to most places but as we are there for 23 days I don't want to chew up all my money doing expensive things like guided tours and the like. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,431 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Hi & welcome to the forum !

You certainly do have some time to enjoy Nth Qld. Have you ventured further down south of Cairns ?

If not; maybe consider taking a drive down to Mission Beach via Tully. Its a very pretty drive & you could also consider staying overnight & doing a day trip to Dunk Island. Although the resort has closed day visitors are welcome.

https://www.dunk-island.com/

Port Douglas is a great place to ride a bike around.

http://www.portdouglasbikehire.com/

portdouglasbikehire.com/portdouglas-map.htm

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

I have done a bit of riding in Cairns and surrounds , but there is some riding on quiet roads. Its not an issue, we have cycled this with kids much younger than your daughter with no issue.

…qld.gov.au/facilities-and-recreation/…cycle

I have used this site and a friend who lives there constantly uses this for ideas.

Have you been up to Cooktown? Its a great spot for a few days

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Cheers Ellemay, I was thinking of heading down to Townsville for a couple of days so a day trip to Dunk island sounds like the go. We were planning to go to Port Douglas and properly stay overnight as my daughter wants to see where her teacher got married last year. Thank for the links, it saves me hunting around trying to find web sites.

Thanks again.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Thanks hamiriver, I'll be able to check out the cycling info on the link you gave me, if I get stuck I can always ask at the cycle shop when we get bikes. Cooktown was on the agenda ( my parents go there quite a bit ) just hope they have fixed it up after the cyclone.

Cheers.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Yes still worth the trip to Cooktown .

Townsville - billabong sanctuary is a good way to spend an afternoon along with The aquarium and also the museum I'd pretty good fun for your daughters age, and adults. Townsville is one of those underrated places, but it's also a pretty drive in parts between cairns and Townsville . Paluma ,a is pretty stop.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Have you explored much of the Atherton Tableland area on your previous trips? We did a drive up there for the day and have decided we want to spend at least a week up there next time to do all the things we just didn't have time for.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Hi hamiriver, great to hear about Cooktown. I had considered going to the aquarium and with the museum being right there we will be able to kill two birds with one stone. Do you know if there are any decent walk in hotels in Townsville as the trip down there may be a spur of the moment and I didn't want to book one just in case the weather or days may change for a visit.

Cheers.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Hi LOstris, we haven't done the Atherton Tablelands as yet mainly because of the drive back and forth to Cairns. Is it worth staying there or should we just do the drive each day?

Cheers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

We drive up for the day from Port Douglas, it was great as a one day trip but if I wanted to spend multiple days there I would stay up there as the drive was up a windy mountain and took around an hour. It may be easier from Cairns though.

On the day we went to Coffee Works, Jaques coffee plantation, a distillery I can't remember the name of and an ice cream place. We grabbed a map from the tourist desk at the hotel and picked places that looked interesting. But there were heaps of natural things on the map that looked really interesting too, waterfalls and lakes and things, that's what we want to spend some time exploring next time round.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

That could be Mt.Uncle Distillery, my daughter wants to go to the Crystal Caves in Atherton and I wouldn't mind having a go on the go karts in Mareeba so I might plan a few days up there. If we stay over night depends if we can get into a hotel when we get there.