We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Hi everyone, first time posting here so here goes. I am heading up to Cairns from 7th-31st July 2014 (in a couple of week's) with my 10 year old daughter. Hotel and hire car is all sorted. We come up every year and do the usual touristy things, problem is we have just about run out of things to do. I was thinking of buying a couple of push bikes and doing a bit of riding but there doesn't seem to be too many bike paths etc ( I don't like riding on the road ). I have looked into doing a bit of fishing on the Barron river ( Barron river boat hire ). Is this the go or are there some better one's? I don't mind having to drive to most places but as we are there for 23 days I don't want to chew up all my money doing expensive things like guided tours and the like. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cairns
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

Hello, With 23 days in FNQ you should take a couple of days to explore the Atherton Tablelands. Swim in the Lakes and waterfalls, check out the Curtain Fig Tree, The Crater...there is much to see and do...Cheese and chocolate making at a local dairy, and the very special part is ... always seriously beautiful scenery!

Stay over night in Yungaburra or one of the other little villages.

Drive back down to the coast via The Palmerston Highway to Menna Ck and check out Paronellla Park (beautiful gardens built around an old Spanish Castle on Menna Creek.) Then it is only a short drive to Mission Beach, or any of the other pretty beaches along the coast.

Port Douglas is one of my favourite places as well. I would rather base myself in Port than Cairns. So much to do with day or over night trips to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. Day trips out to the reef - snorkelling, whale watching or just relaxing! Take a couple of days to go to Cooktown and see the history about The Captain. The cyclone is well over and Cooktown is up and running.

I would save Townsville for another holiday, to spend time exploring that area.

Enjoy your holiday what ever you decide! Your in FNQ you can't go wrong.

12. Re: 23 day Cairns holiday "7th July- 31st July"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:17