We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Birmingham, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Hi, daughter in Cairns at the moment and has a tour to Atherton tablelands included in a package. She has looked into going to Daintree on an overnight trip but not sure whether its worth doing both? She is obviously on a budget but doesn't want to miss it if its a must see?

Passions of Paradise Reef Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Day Trips
Spirit of Cairns
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
Bad Fishy Jet Boating
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Brett's Outback Tasting Adventures
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

My must see is not your must see and it may not be your daughter's either!

Is she staying in a hostel? She may want to ask around from other hostel guests and staff (who are usually backpackers too!) about that specific tour company and the experiences and how they compare to one another - usually there's a lot of "on the ground" info around hostels. Overnight tours are unfortunately not listed in the review section here on TA. However, for the day trips, search the company name and read their reviews - it's going to give you much more comprehensive information on specific companies than you can find in the forums.

Personally if I were in Cairns I would spend as much time as I could exploring the countryside, as the city is small and once you've seen it, there's not a whole lot to do IMO. But everyone has their own travel style and relaxing at the lagoon or drinking late at a club with other travellers may be something more to your daughter's liking - who knows? :)

I'm guessing her package already has a reef trip included in it - a trip to the outer reef is really a "must see" - probably just stating the obvious here :)

Birmingham, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

At the moment she is looking at a 2 day tour with daintreerainforesttours for $144. Like you say it is difficult to find reviews though. She has asked at the hostel and someone has said there is a one day tour for $70 and if you find someone else it is bogof. Although she is on a budget she realises you get what you pay for and that seems a bit too cheap. Do you think it is too far to go in a day? And yes she has a reef tour included as well.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

If it is a 2 day tour it is likely it will go further and therefore be worth it..in the daintree forest ..the coast road you can only go so far in a 2wd vehicle, and that is to the river...there are ferries to take you across and aslo boat trips on the river. So if this tour is going across the river and further north, it would have to be in a 4wd vehicle, and it will be going deeper into the rainforest and be more remote and away from the normal tourist crowd at the river area.

I think cairns is a very boring place..I like townsville a lot more. The best of cairns is really up on the atherton tableland, the reef and into the rainforest areas....anywhere that can take you out of town is worth it....who knows when you or she will get back there so just go! ♡

Birmingham, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Have just spoken to her and she has booked a 2 day tour, she has been to atherton tablelands today, is going to the reef tomorrow then to daintree for the 2 days. I think after that she is heading down to townsville to magnetic island. She is having an amazing time, I hope to get there myself one day thanks for the advice

Edited: 04 August 2014, 18:46
Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Sorry magpiegirl9 I must correct you re Daintree. There is just one ferry across the Daintree River and the road is sealed from there all the way up to and a little beyond Cape Tribulation so no need for 4WD unless you head further north along the Bloomfield Track towards Cooktown.

And you certainly will not find a 'tourist crowd' at the river - only the cars waiting for the ferry (which goes every 10-15 mins or so) or the cars of people who have gone on one of several 1-hour river cruises. In fact you won't find a crowd anywhere in the Daintree, just people enjoying the beautiful rainforest drive, wandering along rainforest boardwalks or walking along almost-deserted beaches.

Here's our Destination Daintree website - I am actually project-managing a brand new website so please check it out again in a few weeks' time when the new site should be up and running. Meantime this is our current website:-

http://www.destinationdaintree.com/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Hi sunbird..thanks for the information. Ah yes the road further up is unsealed...do you think this would be covered on a 2 day tour or would they stay in the daintree sealed road section? Are the roads to the little beaches you speak of for only 4wd? I will take a look at the website, thanks.♡

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

Thanks magpiegirl - I would imagine a 2-day tour for $144 would only go as far as Cape Tribulation where they would probably stay the night so no, they would not leave the sealed road. There are other tours which take you up to Cooktown along the Bloomfield Track - a fantastic experience - but they would certainly cost more.

All the beaches are accessable by normal cars.

8. Re: Atherton tablelands AND Daintree?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17