We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Topic
Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Hi thinking of bringing our 4,5,7 year olds to cairns for a week from 18 October. We would appreciate any itinerary ideas and suggestions on where to stay. We are open to a combination of any of camping or resorts or apartments or hotels - just want to make the most of our time there as we haven't been before. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,474 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Hi Vivian ~

Some Trip Reports from the Oz Forum here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c120997/Austr…

More info in the tabs up top of this screen to browse through: Hotels, including B&Bs, Things to Do.

Get started on developing a rough day plan for your time and post it here for feedback.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,755 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

A few general thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Rent a car. The areas you want to visit re spread out and if you rely on day tours it's going to be both restrictive and expensive.

2. Consider staying in Port Douglas rather than Cairns. It's closer to the Daintree Rainforest area and the outer reef and has a more holiday, laid back feel to it than Cairns which is a medium sized regional city (with no beach).

3. With young children a self catered apartment may be more practical than two hotel rooms. It gives you family room to stretch out and you have the opportunity to prepare some meals or snacks for yourselves. You'll also get a laundry which may come in handy with 3 kids.

4. Have a look at some of the booking sites like www.wotif.com for an idea of accommodation available. If you would like suggestions from the forum, you'll need to give us an idea of budget.

5. Follow Mufti's excellent advice and read up on the area to get an idea of what YOU would like to do and see. After all, it's your holiday. When you have a rough idea, we can help you refine your itinerary.

Cairns
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Hi Vivian, this really is an easy one. As locals even we stay at Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort as it is just the best for families. You mention camping and Resorts well this is both. Your children will love it! For things to do for sure try to head out to the Great Barrier Reef or if you think a full day is too much with young children then look at going to Green or Franklin island instead. The whole family should love the Skyrail and Kuranda train - I suggest doing Skyrail up and train back as the youngest may be tired by the afternoon and can fall asleep on the train if needed. There are great animal experiences in Cairns at Cairns Tropical Zoo or Hartleys Crocodile park. Both have koalas, crocodiles and wallabies that the children can get close too. The Tjapukai Aboriginal park is a great way to spend half a day and a good hands on experience for the children. Cairns has a beautiful Esplanade with a free pool at one end and a terrific boardwalk all the way along. Make sure you stop at Muddies playground halfmway,along as again it is awesome with local young families. If you want a look at our beautiful tropical plants I would suggest a visit to our botanical gardens where you will see amazing plants including orchids and insect eating plants! Great little cafe there for lunch as well. I have lived in Cairns for 30 years and know that there are so many fantastic things for a family to do here - I could give you suggestions for free and paid attractions on or off the usual tourist traps for a week or even a month. We also have rivers, lakes, picnic stops and places in nature where you can see wallabies so close up! Feel free to message me if you need any specific local advice. We would love to welcome you to this beautiful piece of paradise that we call home.

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Great! Thanks so much!!! Gonna look into these. I can't wait.

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

hello,

So far I've decided on 4 nights in Cairns and 4 nights in PD. Rough itinerary

Day 1 Esplanade pool/playground, Muddies, botanical gardens night market - is this all easy walking distance if we don't have a car or are buses easy to find? or is this too ambitious for one full day (we arrive day before)

Day 2 Skyrail and Kurumba Railway with bird sanctuary and butterfly park visit

Day 3 Considering Green Island visit for underwater observatory, Marineland and snorkelling- I saw somewhere that we can just take commercial ferry there to cut down on costs but can't find out timing of departures and how fast commercial ferries take- is this relatively comfortable?

Day 4 hire car and drive to PD check out crocs and zoo along the way - any suggestions of family friendly retaurants around PD

Day 5 Quick silver Agincourt reef tour from PD

Day 6 Drive to cape tribulation via daintree river vehicular ferry (good idea or ripoff?), do some jungle surfing, swim at mossman gorge....doable in a day?

Day 7 my buffer day in case we run out of time or want to head back somewhere... beaches, wildlife park, shopping etc... any suggestion would be gratefully received.

Day 8 head down to cairns for flight

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Unless you want to go no further than the Daintree River missing out the Daintree then you have to get the car ferry across the River. It is not a tourist ripoff as you will see when you get there. Its a small barge that your car goes on and you are off the ferry in less than 5 minutes. Why people automatically assume these things are meant to rake money from unsuspecting tourists.

Your plan is very relaxed and you will find time in PD to just relax and hang out on the beach/walking and playing in the sand.

You will find plenty of open space and not overly populated - lots of nice drives to do like Atherton tablelands but its more like a day trip.

If you do a reef trip to Agicourt which would be my preference - big boat with pontoon for the kids , then maybe skip the Green Island trip.

Hong Kong, China
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Great, Thanks very much for your reply.

Definitely keen to check out Daintree- would you recommend staying there- I saw some tree houses etc, but wondering whether a day trip would be enough to cover the major sights?

(Car ferry makes sense too - just read some reviews saying it wasn't worth it, so wasn't sure if there was another way that locals would get across.... :P)

Cairns
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

Looks like a nice itinerary! Defiantly don't let the ferry crossing at the Daintree put you off. It is the only way to get to Cape Trib and the children will love the experience. Daintree Village itself does not need the river crossing as it is on he southern side but regardless if time permits - and it should- cross the river and explore Cape Trib as well!

Just a word about the botanical gardens. I think with children it is too far to walk, depending on where you are staying. I often walk all the way from the southern end of the Esplanade to the Botnical Gardens and back but it is about an 8 to 10 km loop I would say so unless you are in Cairns North I would suggest a taxi.

Re Green Island I am pretty sure only Big Cat Green Island Cruises and Great Adventures go there. It is not really a ferry service. More a day trip. Personally I think the outer reef is always a better option with Reef Magic or Great Adventures but it would depend on the ages of your children and of course the budget!

Enjoy your holiday!

9. Re: Cairns with 3 kids for 8 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 07:16