We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

I'm constantly seeing advice to people that there's no need to book ahead when planning a holiday to Cairns?

At the moment (15th August) it's raining, not school holidays and yet I can't book my visiting family on a trip to Green Island until next Thursday (21st). Now there are 2 companies running between Cairns and Green Island with about 3 boats a day each.

So please people, if you don't want to spoil peoples holidays stop saying this.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Hi Marty, I never make recommendations on the Cairns Forum, although out of interest I read them.

One question about this comment >> At the moment (15th August) it's raining, not school holidays and yet I can't book my visiting family on a trip to Green Island until next Thursday (21st). << why did you not heed your own advice?

Robert

Cairns, Queensland...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

if you must know Rob, they're Grey Nomads, and I knew they'd be here sometime in August, they showed up last night.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Good, just thought the question might clear it up for all, no malice intended.

Hope they have a great stay, and we'll probably see them in Tasmania in summer :o)

Robert

Oz
Level Contributor
11,453 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Hi,

OMG Grey Nomads paying for a tour!!! I MUST WRITE THAT DOWN SOMEWHERE!!

I believe the advice from the DEs not to book centres around the unpredictability of the weather.

Cheers,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Don't believe everything you read on TA OZ.

Some of the posters who are most vehement in their criticism have possibly never met a GN except in passing or seen from a distance.

Others are basing their rather broad generalization on one or two encounters with the species.

I have a number of older friends who head north each year and none if them bear any resemblance to the mean, penny pinching Scrooges sometimes described on this Forum.

They pay their park fees, they shop locally, they frequent the local eateries, they buy their wine locally and they pay to visit local attractions.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,453 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Hi emel49,

I managed camping areas on the Mid North Coast for nearly thirty years. IME most, but not all, Grey Nomads are distinguished by their parsimonious pursuits and identified by their penny pinching, toilet paper roll lifting illegal ways. You should have heard the complaints when we replaced the toilet paper rolls in the amenities with single sheet dispensers of the shiny skid mark variety!

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,308 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Yeah well Emel I've met plenty of them as well. And yep they do generally fit a certain profile and that's not just here in Aus either. Same go in the US as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

<< I'm constantly seeing advice to people that there's no need to book ahead when planning a holiday to Cairns? >>

I see lots of advice both ways, but I am fairly sure that most people recommend booking ahead when travelling during peak periods. Although not school holidays, it's still August which is part of the peak "dry" season, so it's not too surprising it's crowded (even if not as dry as advertised!).

Things may be a bit different in the summer outside of school holidays? I do know that you would be really unhappy to schedule a reef trip in the wet season well in advance, and then find it was pouring down rain the entire day due to the remnants of a tropical cyclone or something.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

Usually i'll say yes book during peak period and august is one of those times.

It also pays to check when cruise ships are in...

10. Re: Why does everyoard advise people not to book ahead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:16