We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuranda

Bedlington, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Kuranda

Would like to go up on the train, but no way will my fear of heights let me use the Skyrail. How easy is it to get the bus back down to Cairns please?

Any idea on costs?

Roger

K G
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuranda

Hi Roger,

I took this exact route just a month ago. I look the scenic rail up to Kuranda and the bus back. The bus is very easy. There is the public transit and a locally owned and operated bus, both pick up in the same spot just across the way from the Koala park. The public transit is just under $10 AUD for one way to Cairns and the locally owned one I ended up taking was $5 AUD. If my memory serves me it was something like John's Kuranda to Cairns Bus. Times for both services are posted at the bus stop aforementioned and come quite regularly. It's about a 40 min. round trip via bus to give you perspective on timing if one bus was running.

Best wishes. Kuranda was a highlight for me.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuranda

I would consider coming back on the train too, but you may enjoy taking the bus down - ksr.com.au/TourOptions/Pages/Timetables.aspx

Bedlington, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuranda

Thanks for the info and the link to the service.

Roger

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuranda

No worries, We went up by train and back by the Skyrail, and loved the views from both. We've driven it a number of times and it's definitely a scenic drive coming down the mountain. So I would go with whichever suits you best, but I liked that you can move about on the train.

Cairns Region...
Level Contributor
400 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuranda

Bus costs $5 each way to and from Kuranda and takes 35 minutes. There are two different bus companies and both operate about 3 services per day. One is the Kuranda shuttle while another one is a regular Tablelands service. Not sure about the cost of the regular service.

6. Re: Kuranda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2015, 05:21