We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

We will be in Cairns in Jan and want to book a snorkeling trip. We ae experienced snorkelers with out own equpment. Any recommendations on who to book with?

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

Hi susie,

We booked our trip thru www.reeftrip.com. We went for a 2 day/1 night snorkel trip to the outer reef at Saxon and Hastings Reef. They charter a boat (Compass Cruise) that takes you out to the outer reef (1.5 hours). From there we transferred to the nice boat which is where our excursions/rooms were. Had an unbelievable time. The first boat can be quite rough so load up on dramamine.

Visit my go list and pan down to the barrier reef review:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5317-Traveling…

Hope this helps.

Kenny

Cairns Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

There are heaps of great snorkel trips to choose from. Makesure you choose a trip that visits the outer barrier reef for the best snorkel experiences. Osprey V, ReefQuest, Reef Magic, Tusa are all pretty good. If you wait till you get here you will find so many brochures and options to choose from, you can then work out which will best suit you.

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

kennywah and emmalouise,

Thanks for the referrals.

kennywah, I enjoyed the summary of your recent trip to Australia and will take it with me!

Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

I suggest you don't book until you reach your accommodation - there are heaps of trips you can do and your accommodation provider should be able to give you good advice and also a weather / reef report.

Wait until you get there - don't prebook.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
701 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

Whom ever you book with, make sure that (1) the boat is not too big (some carry over 200people, making an instant crowd on the reef),and (2) the crew knows about the reef. I went with Rum Runners out of Cape Trib - they were very good in both respects (max of 40 people on baord a catamaran, friendly, knowledgable crew). A few days later I did a trip out of Townsville with SunSea. That was a whole different trip - crowded and not such a good crew.

One other consideration : the reef off of Cape Trib weas healthy and spectacular. The reef further south off Townsville was choked with algae.

Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

I don't know that l would bother dragging my own equipment all the way there unless you have prescription snorkels. We have our own stuff and l didn't want to take up room in the suitcase for one day and was very happy with the equipment on our trip. We took Reef Magic out of Cairns and the snorkels and masks were great. They were recommended on this site and by our local taxi driver and we were very happy with our day. The boat is big enough to be more stable in the open sea and not so big that it felt crowded at the reef(l think it carried 140 people). We had snorkeled in the Caymans, the Virgin Islands, Mexico and several places in Hawaii and the reef was just fantastic. The coral was the best part -- much bigger and more variety. Wait until you get there to book so you can check the weather and pick the calmest day.

7. Re: Snorkel trip to Great Barrier Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 23:17