We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Hi folks. I will have a car while in the Cairns/Port Douglas area, but I am definitely going to do the Kuranda Skyrail one-way, and the Kuranda train one-way (with a bus transfer between train station and skyrail station) -- but wanted to get opinions on whether to take the Skyrail up or down.

Only thing I have heard so far is that the train might be better going UP, because coming down it has its screeching brakes on a lot of the time.

However, if the views are better on the Skyrail in a particular direction, that would greatly influence me. If the views are equivalent in both directions, not a problem.

Thanks for any insights.

Rick in Maryland

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Hi Rick,

We went upon Skyrail and back on the train. Both were great - definitely no squeaky brakes when we were there!

Cairns
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Hi Rick

I was born and have lived almost all my life in Cairns and I can answer your question about the Skyrail/Train to Kuranda. What you will discover when you get to Kuranda is that the town itself has very little to recommend it. It is, actually, little more than a tourist trap full of expensive tacky souvenir shops. I lived up there for a few months and it hardly even seems like a real town. Before the train and Skyrail arrive in the morning and after the last departure of the day, the shops don't even open and the town is like a ghost town. The trip on the train and the Skyrail, however, are stunningly beautiful and fully worthwhile - the trick is just to make sure you don't get stranded in Kuranda waiting for the train to take you home. Two hours at a maximum is all you will want/ need to spend in Kuranda. The trains run up twice in the morning and back twice in the afternoon, while the Skyrail departs in both directions almost continuously. The thing to do is to take the train up, have a look around and then whenever you want to get out of there you can just hop on the Skyrail out of there! Also, I have never known the brakes on the Kuranda train to squeak.

As far as the views from the Skyrail go, there are fantastic views to be had in both directions, but the gondolas have a 360 degree view so the view is the same regardless of which direction you travel. You are free to swap seats to the other side so you can look ahead or behind as you desire.

Hope that helps....if you have any more questions I would be happy to help. : )

Cheers,

Sue from Cairns

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Have to agree with Sue from Cairns. I've done the train up and the skyrail down. Kuranda itself, while nice, we didn't spend very long up there. Had lunch and checked out the shops and left.

The skyrail runs all day so whenever you decide you've had enough you can jump on the skyrail back. While if you were taking the train back, you'd have to possibly wait for it.

My recommendation - train up and skyrail down.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

I did Skyrail up and rail down in April this year. Views are definitely going to be the same either way with Skyrail because you can move around the gondola. I had no complaints with the way we did it but I can see the point about making your escape when you've had enough if you do Skyrail down. Definitely no squeeky brakes in April :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Thanks folks -- I was focusing so much on the views aspect, I nearly forgot the logistics of getting out of Kuranda --- so definitely Train up, Skyrail down.

Sue, perhaps you or others know this answer: how convenient is the access to get from Skyrail station (Smithfield) back to the Freshwater station (where my car will be?). I believe others said there was some sort of shuttle for about A$5 or so??

Thanks for great info.

Rick in Maryland

NZ
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

I'm going to travel from Kuranda to Cairns by train, which side of the train do you recommend to sit to get the best views??

Gilroy, California
Level Contributor
112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

you`ve been posting for quite awhile now on OZ, when are you going to finally come over.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

Have you considered staying up on the tablelands - rather than just going to Kuranda, and then heading back to Cairns? It's nice up there. I can recommend the On the Wallaby hostel in Yungaburra. They take you platypus spotting for free, or you can book on to a bunch of activities (I did night canoeing, day canoeing and mountain biking).

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

I am planning my trip for mid-September 2007 (hopefully) -- should know in about a month or so. I am planning as if it is a go.

Rick

10. Re: Skyrail to Kuranda: Take it Up or Take it Down?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 10:35