We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
11 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

We interested in 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive/snorkel trips to the Great Barrier Reef leaving out of Cairns. We're planning a trip in February 2008.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

I've just come back from Cairns where we did a 3 day 2 night dive to adventure with Pro-Dive which was pretty good.

All equipment included, good dive briefings, friendly staff, comfy cabins and lots of good food. All in all a good liveaboard. They do do some other options of longer liveaboards and different trips so check them out on their web site. www.prodivecairns.com.au

Protaras, Cyprus
Level Contributor
267 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

Hi heieup

You say the trip was pretty good and I was wondering if you could give a bit more detail - did you see a lot of marine life (anything big?) and was the visibility good?

Also, was the water quite calm - or choppy? We are thinking of booking a similar trip and I'm grateful for more info.

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois...
Level Contributor
169 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

Had a great time with reef encounter.

See my golist and pan down: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5317-Traveling…

cheers

Kenny

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

Visibility was pretty good for the entire time we were there, not the best I have ever seen but still on a scale of 1-10 probably an 8.

Lots of marine life, the reef itself looks to be dying in parts and a lot of the coral is quite brown (in comparison with diving in the Caribbean) but the fish are spectacular.

During our dives we saw rays, turtles, giant clams, sharks, groupers, maouri wrasse, trumpet fish and rock cod as well as smaller fish such as butterflys, angels, parrotfish, snappers and lots of surgeons. Also LOTS of evil titan triggerfish which do chase and you do need to be on the lookout for them. Mostly a problem round mating season though and I am told they are not so bad the rest of the time.

Only 2 of the dives were guided (the first and the first night dive) so it did take quite a few dives before I started to see the really big marine life, but that is more down to diving experience than anything else (as my navigation was rubbish!).

On the way out to the reef the water was choppy, quite windy and a few showers (we went in Jan rainy season). I needed my seasick bands for the 2 hour journey out to the reef. Once at the reef itself it was fairly calm, no problems for anyone with seasickness on the reef (but some going out and back) a bit choppy on the surface but not bad and quite calm underneath, no major currents so quite easy diving. Only on one dive where we were right at the edge of the reef was there a current, the reef was quite shallow and for about 2 mins it was a bit tricky to get over the top of the reef at 5m depth as we were dragged about a bit by the current but once past 5m it was always calm.

Overall good diving, good marine life, not much by way of current and good visibility. The boat is well equipped, comfortable and the staff are great. Food was plentiful, quite simple but tasty (lasagna, salads, soup kind of thing) they would cater for any specific meal requirements. Staff great, good briefings and good equipment

there was a good mix of different experiences of diver on the trip too so inexperienced or experienced divers, noone felt out of place.

Southern California
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

We did the Nimrod Explorer 4 day in 2005, and are returning this year for the 7 day trip. We loved it! Nice ship and crew, decent food and they do not treat you like children. A bonus is the low flight over the GBR from Cairns to Cooktown, very exciting!

Cheers!

6. Re: 3 or 4 day live-aboard dive trips from Cairns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 04:17