We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in Cairns/GBR?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rain in Cairns/GBR?

We are taking a tour of Australia and NZ and will be in Cairns for two nights and Dunk Island for two nights at the beginning of March. I was aware that it would be rainy, but I guess I am amazed by just how rainy! The NYTimes weather page indicates that for the next five days it is all about rain, thunderstorms, clouds, humidity. Should I just get used to the idea that I must cope with yucky weather for this segment of the trip? We will also be going to Beaver Cay for a day - will this probably be just one big day in the rain?

Thanks.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

It has been amazingly wet up north! The highway has been cut off for about a week, but they expect the flood levels to drop in the next day or so. Cairns had rain last week that they normally get in a month. February and March and usually the wettest months of the year, so you have to acknowledge that there is a good chance of rain while you'll be here. On the other hand, it might be gorgeous weather. You'll just have to keep an eye on the forecasts really.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

Hi, you are visiting the tropcs in the monsoonal wet period - it is a fantastic time to go if you embrace it! If I were you I would be praying for rain, because it keeps things cooled down - if the sun comes out too much in March everyone just about expires from the humidity! There is something really beautiful about sitting on a protected balcony watching the rain bucketing down and forming a waterfall in front of your eyes! Just hope it doesn't build into a cyclone!

We went out of our way to hike in Mosman Gorge (wearing the good old $3 plastic ponchos) when it was pouring. Fantastic experience! We sloshed through creeks, saw lots of frogs/lizards etc. This is the RAINforest!

Often when it is raining on the mainland, it will not be raining out on the Reef.

Just be prepared for it, don't worry about it, and enjoy!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

Has been very rainy. More between Ingham and Mackay than in Cairns itself.

Cairns hasn't had much rain at all until now.The city has coped well with the rainfall however it has been enough to ruin a few days holiday. This is always a chance anywhere, but a little more increased chance in the wet tropics.

What will happen in March , who knows you may get perfect weather,....or a cyclone. The nation will pray a cyclone does not head for Innisfail though (inland from Dunk) as they got nailed last year by a category 5. It would be like New Orleans getting hit again by a hurricane. Lets hope "..... lightening never strikes twice.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

Spent 4 days in Cairns area last March - 1 day REALLY wet (but great fun) and showers on 2 of the others. It's 'warm' rain though and not a deterrent if you have a poncho or umbrella. It did not rain on us when we drove inland for a day to the Atherton Tablelands - recommended circular day trip.

(We then flew to Ayers Rock and rained on us there as well - spectacular!)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

Thanks for all the information - at least I am prepared. I do hope we don't hit cyclone conditions! Yikes!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

I'm near Cairns today and after heavy rain associated with cyclone Nelson from the Gulf, all is well - not a cloud in the sky and good reef conditions. Not sure about further south though, but at least the road has opened.

Barron Falls near Kuranda are in full flood, fantastic sight for those coming in wet season, there's barely a trickle in dry and rainforests always benefit from rain.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

Please rain man, dont ruin all our bananas for another year.! We can only just afford them again and we have really missed them!!

8. Re: Rain in Cairns/GBR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 20:19