We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single female planning Port end June

BELFAST
Level Contributor
325 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
single female planning Port end June

Hi I am planning to head to PD around the end of June.

Would 1 week be OK?

I am looking to do a few trips Daintree & prehaps visit a few islands?? Bit mostly relax & do some walking?

I will not have transport & need somewhere cheap & central but safe & not too full of kids (i'm 36) perhaps with a pool? Oh & self catering would be great.

I will visit Cairns for the day but not keen on big cities - is there anywhere else that I should stay?

Can I get to the whitsunday from here?

Are the beaches OK to relax on this time of year? Whats the weather like?

How far is it? Do I stay over & how much should I budget??

Many thanks?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: single female planning Port end June

Hi Martine,

One week is great in the area.If thinking of doing the Daintree a coupe of times, then look at staying there for a couple of nights, which will save the trouble of travelling to and from the area. There is some great accommodation up there, around Cape Tribulation, ranging from hostels to B and B's, you can relax on the beach and also do a few rainforest boardwalks when you wish.

By doing that it will leave you 5 days in Port which is ample and without a car, you would be best to stay centra, but prices will be an issu, as it will be classed as high season and you may find it difficult to find something on lines of 'cheap, self contained, pool and central,' on a tight budget.

Can you give us some sort of indication of how much you'd like to spend per night on accommodation in Port?

You can get to the Whitsundays from Port. You'd need to hop on a Qantas flight from Cairns to Hamilton Island, and catch a boat across to Proserpine. There is only one flight per day from Cairns to Hamilton and it is an early morning one.

To drive would take around 7 to 8 hours. You may be able to get on a coach from Cairns to Whitsundays, but not sure of prices and schedule there.

Beaches anywhere in the North, Whitsundays to Port Douglas,will be great for relaxation and swimming, water temperature around 24C, temperatures around 26 to 30C around Port Douglas, perhaps slightly cooler around the Whitsundays.

BELFAST
Level Contributor
325 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: single female planning Port end June

Thank you thats a great start.

As for accomodation I am away for 90 days so am trying to budget on max au45$ accomodation per night. I can do more & in places will do dorm style accomodation & pay less. I am guessing the smaller places the dorm style hostels would be better? less people , less teenagers??

I have seen Parrotfish lodge mentioned but for some reason it doesn't appeal?

Port O'Call lodge seems OK??

What would you recommend??

There's a hostel Cape Tribulation Cowbay? Whats it like is it very secluded?

I am looking for a relaxing time after the recent death of my baby & want to feel safe around people but not overwelmed by crowds & noise - hope you know what I mean.

I appreciate your help.

M

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: single female planning Port end June

Martine, must duck out for a while, will get back to your post, I promise...

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: single female planning Port end June

Hi Martin,

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your baby, I hope that I can help further and I do hope that others may come in with suggestions also.

End of June will see the area start to get rather busy with school holidays beginning in Australia. I think to find something in that price range wil be very difficult. Even the one bedder style of apartments will be at around $150 per night, therefore I think you will be limited to Parrot fish, Port O Call or Dougies, mainly all backpacker style of places.

Two others to also have a look at are - Port Central Motel and Port Douglas Motel which may also suit, but again higher in price. and may not be self catering.

portdouglasaccom.com.au/Accommodation/197/

http://www.portdouglasmotel.com/

The one advantage is that the larger 2 and 3 bedder type of places will fill up first, so you may find some good rates on some last minute sites like

www.wotif.com.au

www.quickbeds.com.au

www.lastminute.om.au to name a few,

but I'm certain that if there are any one bedders around at that time of year, the price per night will still be high.

I also had a quick look at some B and B's which I think may suit, but again price is still much higher.

Cape Tribulation/Cow Bay is a great place for that R and R. There are some great places up that way, and a resident forum helper by the name of 'Sunbird ' may be able to assist you greatly. If the post isn't seen by her/him, put in a forum question under the Cape Trib forum addressed to 'Sunbird' in the hope that you get a reply. In the meantime, this website is a good starting point to give you an indication on price for accommodation up that way.

You'll find most hostels nearer to the beach may attract a few 'party type people' Pk's Jungle Village and Crocodylus is mainly for the young backpackers.

If I can be of more help, please let me know.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: single female planning Port end June

Hi Martine,

I've been away for a couple of days so have just caught up with your post (thanks Travelport for giving me a 'nudge'!).

Staying anywhere in the Daintree region without your own transport does limit your options a little, but then it sounds as if your main aim is just to relax. However, you will be here during our school holidays so you may find the places within your budget - possibly Crocodylus at Cow Bay, PK's Jungle Village or Cape Trib Beach House both at Cape Tribulation - will be very busy.

I suggest you have a look at the Daintree Cape Tribulation Tourism Association website at www.daintreecoast.com for all the accommodation options north of the Daintree River. There are also some beautiful places south of the River - see www.daintreevillage.asn.au, but here you really do need your own transport so I think the Cow Bay to Cape Trib region would suit you best as you can access beach, rainforest and walks very easily.

I hope this helps.

BELFAST
Level Contributor
325 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: single female planning Port end June

thanks so much for all your effort s& information in helping with my trip

i will probably look at getting a car once I head up north then

appreciate your help

martine

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: single female planning Port end June

Have a great holiday Martine.

8. Re: single female planning Port end June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 21:20