We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thornlie, Western...
13 posts
Save Topic
Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

I'll be in Cairns July 22 - 25 and Port Douglas July 25 - August 3.

From where would it be best to do Kuranda? Rail or Sky or one each way? Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

You do Kuranda from Cairns. It's a short drive (15 minutes) from downtown Cairns to where the skyrail leaves to take you up to Kuranda. I'd recommend doing skyrail one way and then the railway the other, that way you get the two different perspectives.

It's a beautiful part of the world. You will thoroughly enjoy it.

Australasia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

Rail is great. Skyrail isn't bad, luckily you can do both. Probably better to do rail up and sky down. It just feels nicer (you'll understand when you do it)

There are a heap of operators that do this as a day trip, giving you time in kuranda. try www.tour.com.au and search for Cairns departures. You will get a whole heap of operators that do this. then contact them directly. Or better if you have your own car, then just rail up and down.

kez

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

i agree with Kevzso.

i have taken the train both ways and i prefer to take it going up.

the skyway is spectacualar and well worth doing as well.

although if you wnat to drive to the start of the tour, i think parking is best at the skyway station.

the indigenous show is apparantly well worth seeing too, even if you are an aussie.

i havent done that yet, as i seem to run out of time when i visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

Not sure if the previous poster is referring to the indigenous show at Tjapukai, or not. If so I can vouch for the show - it is awesome! I've done Tjapukai at night which is a show and buffet dinner. Really interesting...

It's right beside the skyrail terminal, see below for further info:

http://www.tjapukai.com.au/

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

I was. but i often forget actual names.

6. Re: Kuranda from Cairns or Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 13:17