We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions For What to Do

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions For What to Do

We're a family of 4 (youngest is 10) who will be spending 5 nights in PD & 2 nights in Cairns in August.

Apart from a snorkelling trip, we'll be organising our days out ourselves as we've hired a car. Would appreciate some suggestions as to where to go and what to do.

We already have Hartleys & possibly Kuranda on our itinerary. Would especially welcome advice on trips/walks to the local rainforest.

Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

The Habitat in PD. Great place. If you can afford it go and have breakfast with the birds then do the tour.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

Yup, Breakfast with the Birds at the Rainforest Habitat is a must.

A trip up to Mossman Gorge would be nice as well.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

Not a lot of walking at Rainforest Habitat, check Cooper Creek Wilderness for some of the best rainforest walks, and genuine wilderness experience www.ccwild.com

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

I've compiled a list for Cairns surrounds. Some of these things you'll be able to do from Port Douglas:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i16655-Great_si…

Let me know if you have any queries. There's lots of great stuff to see in the area.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

Hi Cheshire,

There is heaps to see and do around Port Douglas and Cairns. Our two big attractions are the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest.

As other people have said, Rainforest Habitat is great becuase they have a wide range of rainforest and Australian animals, including the rare Cassowary and Tree Kangaroos.

Also, as you will have a hire car, you can take a drive up to Cape Tribulation- where the rainforest meets the reef. Worth while day excursion, and would be good if you stopped at the Daintree Discovery Centre- there's lots of information for the kids on the rainforest- as you will be travelling without a guide to answer all those tricky questions. They also have a canopy tower and do great coffees. A stop at the Daintree Ice Cream company is also good. And definately a crocodile and wildlife spotting cruise on the Daintree River to see crocs in their natural environment. Solar Whisper has a solar powered boat and prices are very reasonable. At Cape Trib there is also a Jungle Surfing tour you can do- like ziplining throught the forest which is popular with younger folk.

When you visit Mossman Gorge, you should think about joining on the Kuku Yalanji Dreamtime Aboriginal guided walks. They do 4 daily (not Sundays) and is very interesting and informative. Recommended!

For the reef trip- have an idea of what everyone wants to do out there. Many boats and offer different expereinces, inc snorkelling, intro diving and certified diving. Prices vary too. There are large catamarans and smaller sail boats. Do you wnat to be in the water most of the day, or do you want to relax?

You may also consider other activities such as Beach Horse Riding, Hot Air Ballooning, Fishing, Paddlesteamer ride, River Drift snorkelling, Mountain biking, Rafting. Basically there is almost everythig you can think of- just depending on your and your family's interests and budget. All of these can be booked when you arrive.

Hope that helps, cheers from sunny Port Douglas! J

fafuntravel
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

We had a great time in Port Douglas when my friend Jen & I where there a couple of weeks ago. We did a trip with Wavelenght to the Reef. Great friendly staff, I'm not a great swimmer, and they really took care that I had a fun time. We decided to do a tour to the Rainforest with Gary's Safaris. Ian our guide was great, full of lots of info on the Rainforest. We got to 4WD which was fun as comming from Sydney there's not much in the way of that there. It was great to sit back and view the scenery instead of worrying about driving.

with our hire car which we had for 3 days, we drove down to Cairns and took the Rail trip up to Kuranda, we wandered around for awhile, we came down with Skyrail, that was fun, we got some really nice photo's comming down, what a view out to the sea. We then headed back to Port Douglas, and stopped in to Hartley's Creek to see the crocodiles being feed. Glad there's no crocodile in sydney! We had our photo taken with one of them. The boat cruise they do there was exciting, as the croc's jump up the side of the boat out of the water. Boy was I glad they had that glass wall between us and them.. On our last day, we drove over to the Mossman Gorge to spend half a day just swimming and relaxing in the sun. I think Jen & I enjoyed that more, because we knew just that little bit more about the Rainforest. We even had a go at trying to find all the animals like Ian had on the tour, but we only managed to find some black bird scratching around for some food. Oh weeelll next time we might be better at it, but I doubt it.

You'll love Port, I can't wait to go back there.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

Thanks all for the excellent information. You've really whet my appetite! I just wish we were staying for longer.

Have just booked a snorkelling tour with Wavelength on the strength of the recommendations on the forum.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

Just one question re parking at Mossman ...

I've seen a news report from earlier this year that the Indigenous Land Corporation has bought a nine hectare cane farm two kilometres away and will build a visitor centre, parking facilities and an electric bus system to take people to the gorge. When the facilities are complete the access road will be closed to tourists and they will either have to walk to the gorge or pay to ride on the electric bus.

Is this now in place? If so, how much is the bus ride & parking, and I presume it will be well signposted off the main road?

Thanks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

There's nothing about that on the Environmental Protection Agency website, see link below:

www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi…

On the Kuku Yalanji Dreamtime website the Gateway project is apparently going to be complete in October 2008.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions For What to Do

Thanks templc74. That link has provided me with a useful map.