We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

sydney
Level Contributor
116 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

I have read these forums for months and am still no closer with what to do.

I have booked bus class (FF points) flights to cairns for mid Sept. My hubby and I will br travelling with our 3 kids 9,6 and 2. (girls then a boy).

I thought we might need to stay in Palm Cove one night just to check it out on the way through (would one night be enough? arriving in cairns lunchtime).

I guess I need to hire a car at the airport as we are there 7 days? I would like to stay on the beach if possible at PD so we can enjoy the lovely beach I have read about - is swimming safe on the beach in sept?

We get sea sick but would like to show the kids snorkelling whilst being safe for our toddler. I read about the 15min speedboat that takes you to low isles - that seems OK - anyone done that trip?

Would a trip to the crocodile farm be worth it? if so do we do that after staying one night at Palm cove..ie is it on the way to PD? How long would we need at the farm (Just thinking of my toddler sleeping after lunch)?

We have been to wildlife parks here in Sydney, it the habitat one worth it then? What else would be a wow factor for the kids as well as educational maybe...any day trips to the rainforest or cape tribulation that would hold their interest and be suitable not stressful with a toddler?

Where should we stay at PD? We are after luxury if possible for mum and dad and a great pool area for the kiddies. We are thinking one or two nights at sea temple PD but where else? Someone said sheraton is good but is it very close to Marcrossan st?

Decisions, decisions......thanks for your help so far if you managed to sit though this epic!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

September is a beautiful time to visit PD and yes you can swim in the ocean. We have a 6& 3 year old and we have done the Crocodile farm and the habitat they are both good. When we visit PD we don't hire a car for the whole time we walk everywhere and have hired push bikes to ride to the habitat, great riding track from town to there. Personally I think the Sheridan is too far out of town you would have to drive everywhere. We stay at Cayman Villa's which is a easy walk to beach and restaurants, it has a great pool and is very nice, not luxurious but definetly a 4 star apartment. We hired a car from PD and did a drive to Cape Tribulation, which suited us as the kids slept in the car on way back.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

Hi Sydney Emma,

Hopefully I can help answer some questions for you. Sept is a beautiful time of the year up here in the tropics.

One night in Palm Cove in my opinion would be enough- its very pretty there- right on the beach. A lot of visitors I have spoken to regarding Palm Cove/Port Douglas have said that they preferred a longer stay in Port area.

Hiring a car would be useful particularly as you are travelling with young ones. Yes, you can get around on Buses/private taxis etc, but that adds to stress levels carrying so much equipment with kids....you don't want that on YOUR holiday!! Also costs add up when you need transfers everywhere, hire cars only around $100/day.

The jet boat to Low Isles you mentioned is called Reef Sprinter. On a low wind/calm conditions day it is brilliant as the whole experience is 2 hours. All other boats bar one are full day trips. reef Sprinter operates three times daily.

A trip to the tropics would not be COMPLETE without a trip to one of our wildlife parks or a croc cruise on the Daintree River. Hartley's is the croc park between Port and Cairns- great for kids lots to do and learn about. If you want to take the kids and show them the natural habitat of crocs you could try a Cruise on the Daintree river (Solar Whisper is very good), only $22 adults and $11 kids for an hour's entertainment.

You could drive to the Daintree for the day and a visit to the Daintree Discovery Centre offers kids and adults lots of information about tropical rainforests, plants and animals.

Re: Accomm. Sea temple is very new- modern style with big pool area. And yes, Sheraton is a beautiful property, great location and it is close to town, we can walk along the beach for 20 minutes and be in Port centre. There is also buses around Port every half an hour for small fee will take you anywhere. Or if you have your hire car, only 5 minute drive from Sheraton to centre of Port. Try google search accommodation and heaps of websites will appear!! All accommodation 4 star and above would be excellent- has to be because of the competition up here.

Hope that helps and just post again if you have more queries!! Cheers.

sydney
Level Contributor
116 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

Thanks so much for the replies. OK, so we arrive in Cairns about 12pm. Should we stay a night there to let the kids enjoy the esplanade lagoon or maybe just have a dip when we arrive and keep driving to palm cove in the afternoon? So one night in Palm cove then...any recommendations where that one night should be?

I am sure we will have lots more questions so thank you so far

emma

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

Great advice from DaintreeJJ, I will just add, I also agree that the Sheraton Mirage would suit you regarding travelling as a family. There are 14 swimming pools and it has direct access to the beach.

I know there are other fab hotels within the region but to me having kids the Sheraton suits the bill perfectly.

I have heard the Sheraton is up for sale/ have they mentioned it up your way DJJ ?? with a nice hefty mighty price tag .....should not affect any tourists..(just owner's name change.)

5. Re: help-itinery for PD travel end Sep 8 days luxury + kidsLONG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 18:16