We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

Hi there,

We (mum, dad, 3 little kids, and grandma too) are staying for 2 weeks in PD and have hired a car for the duration (

november).

Would love to get some recommendations on some self drive tours for, Mossman/Daintree/Trib and surrounding areas.

We do love to get away from the crowds and love driving so any interesting places to stop/picnic/play/walk.

Any other tips on kid friendly boat tours/restaurants.........Anything that we might enjoy.

Thanks so much

L

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

No expert on kiddie activities but will add what I would think is ok.

Mossman Gorge. Nice walk. When visiting any gorge rocks can be slippery (more than they look) so take care if taking a child in for a dip. I know because I wandered onto a nice big rock on the edge of a stream and went slip sliding away. Could not climb my way out until rescued by a branch. Now this was funny to all onlookers but I am no small child.....

Daintree River - Have croc spotting tours.

Cape Trib - Have mainly boardwalks so safe for all concerned. Never had a problem with leeches on boardwalks but check children now and then and use insect repellant just in case. Ice cream factory a must for kids.

Port Douglas - On the Inlet has fish feeding that the older kids will love. Happy hour drink prices plus you can buy bucket of prawns though I was dissapointed last time maybe their prawns are better now. Has been a while.

Cane toad races, Iron Grill and Bar. - this can be fun for families but a warning. You pay admission and the first entrants for the races are drawn from a hat. After the second race the toads are auctioned for highest price and have seen them go for $100. So can get boring if you do not have a toad to kiss.

Habitat - Small zoo at Port Douglas turnoff from highway. Has breakfast with the birds.

Reef trips - Consider advice when you arrive. Some do not take children under 12, some are free for under 4 years old. Pontoon trips with mixed age usually popular. Low Isles may also appeal to family groups.

Cairns : If you head to Cairns take the ankle biters to Muddy's playground on The Esplanade. Free. Also Sugarland at Edmonton maybe suitable for a picnic and a lazy day.

Tableland - Consider a day trip to Tablelands. Very diverse depending how far you go. Tons to see and do from nature to fruit wine tasing, coffee plantations, rainforest, waterfall, crater lakes, great walks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

Hartleys crocodile farm - we all loved it!

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

HI there,

Verdant has offered many suggestions.

I suggest one day do a day trip t o Cape Tribulation-your rectption or tour desk will provide maps and points of interest for you when you arrive. Hints: don't miss the Daintree Discovery centre and the Daintree Ice Cream company- both will be sure fire hits with whole family!

Another day you could drive west to the Tablelands- lots to see in a day trip so get a copy of the tablelands brochure when you arrive. decide if you want to see waterfalls or just be more relaxed and free with the day- as there is around 3-4 hours driving round trip depending on how ambitious you are. A place away from crowds is the Granite Gorge located in Mareeba (1 hr drive from Port D), really beautiful scenery and rock wallabies wandering around- its just a small fee to enter the area, I think $10pp

Another day you might enjoy a trip on the Skyrail and Scenic Railway to Kuranda. Great for families and people of all ages.

The reef- Quicksilver is great for families as there is a range of activities to do on the platform. Alternatively Low ISles is also beautiful and great for kids because we are on an island for part of the day and the beach is lovely.

restaurants: all pubs do kids menus and good fare for adults too at reasonable prices. Almost all restaurants in town will cater for kids and families (not Nautlilus as it is more of a romanitc fine dining experience)

Adelaide, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

Thanks to you all for some great suggestions.

Most helpful.

When traveling with kids a bit more planning is required so I appreciate your advise.

Bags are packed and we fly out tomorrow..................

Thanks again and best wishes

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

For anyone else, Kuranda Skyrail is well worth a look. Check out our blog post on Port Douglas for more info:

www.australiatripideas.co.uk/portdouglas.html

Cheers,

Martin

6. Re: Self Drive holiday Port Douglas and surrounds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 12:31