We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

port douglas

Leicester england
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
port douglas

Hi

Could you adive us please. We are coming to port douglas on the 9th April 09 until the 17th April. We want to see the barrier reef. 3 of us snorkle and the other is a pada diver. He would like to dive in the reef. We have been advised by the travel agent to go on the quicksilver but another friend has said he went on the aristocat. Could you advise which is the best trip or if there is another boat which would be better.

Also what will the temp be like in April.

Thanks

Joan

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,695 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: port douglas

Thanks Joan.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question as I have never done these boat trips..

However, I'm happy to keep **bumping** this thread up for you, so others who do know the answer to your question can reply.

We have our own yacht.. ♪♪ ♪♪

EM.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: port douglas

Hi Joan,

Most travel agents will advise Quicksilver. There are lots of other smaller boats (such as Aristocat) which don't have the big budget to promote themselves to overseas agents, but offer fantastic trips.

Quicksilver is great and it has a pontoon at the outer reef. There is snorkelling available here, as well as an observatory, semi submersibles and introductory and certified diving aslo available. You could try checking out the ebsite for photos to get a better idea if it will suit your party.

Smaller boats have roving licenses to visit the outer reef and will go to 2 or 3 different sites throughout the day (a chance to see more than one place at the reef). Snorkelling and diving available, but no pontoon. Great crew who can give assistance to snorkellers and divers.

also keep in mind that April is the end of our Wet/rainy season, and also an off peak time so I advise waiting till you arrive in Port Douglas before booking your trip. Check the weather (low wind day is the best) and take a look at the brochures of the different boats when you arrive. Booking one or two days in advance will be fine.

If you really want to pre-book, check out websites for boats: Silversonic, Poseidon, Calypso, Haba, Aristocat as these are the ones which offer dive/snorkel from Port.

3. Re: port douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 03:18