We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBR in December

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GBR in December

I am going to Australia for a few weeks in December - spending most of my time with friends in both Sydney and Melbourne.

I do want to see the GBR reef while I'm there - so I am planning a 3 day holiday on my own. I am leaning toward making Port Douglas my home base - rather than the Whitsundays. I was hoping to spend the other two days while not on the reef lounging pool or beachside - but it sounds like it will be too hot and too many jellyfish. Thoughts.

Also, Thala Lodge and Sheraton Mirage appeal for different reasons - any opinions on what might be best for a solo traveler (not too touristy or honeymoon-y)

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
#1 of 5 Speciality lodging in Diwan
Daintree Rainforest Bungalows
Daintree Rainforest Bungalows
#2 of 2 Speciality lodging in Cow Bay
Heritage Lodge & Spa
Heritage Lodge & Spa
#2 of 5 Speciality lodging in Diwan
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBR in December

Thala is quieter and remote... but it might be a bit too honeymoonish...

Sheraton is totally tourist... but if you wanted to strike up a converstion it migh be the better option...

Personally i don't like the "big group" mentality that the visitors at the Sheraton have.

I honestly think you might be better weatherwise further south in the Whitsundays.. bith places wil be hot and humid but it is far worse the further north you go..