We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on our PD itinerary

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on our PD itinerary

Hi there

My husband and I wil be in PD for 4 1/2 days..late Oct. We are staying at the Archipelago ($79/night).

We are considering the following itinerary:

-arrival day- night wildlife viewing tour

-day 1 Daintree tour (Tony's or Discovery (which includes a bit of kayaking)

day 2-snorkelling with Wavelength

day 3- Snapper island kayak with Backcountry Bliss.

Our questions:

-Does this sound like a doable itinerary?

-any comments on Tony's vs Discovery? Has anyone done the Discovery that includes the kayaking?

-Anyone done the full day Snapper island tour? and can you give me some thoughts on your experience? Was there snorkelling as well?

-should we book these now...or wait til we arrive for weather details?

Thanks

This site has been great in helping us with this itinerary....

B

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on our PD itinerary

Hey there,

Itinerary sounds great. I make the following comments:

Night tour- There are a couple but not in Port Douglas. Will you have a car? There is one at Cairns Night Zoo- they do transfers to and from PD- but animals are in a zoo environment. There's another at Mason's Cape Trib which is around 2 hour drive north of PD, only accessible if you have a hire car- it's a long way to travel! There's another at Silky Oaks Lodge- only 25 minutes north of PD, but again no transfers available and generally only for hotel/resort guests- so pre-book.

Day1- Daintree Discvery is the one with the sea kayaking- souhnds like you like kayaking- so probably on this basis alone you may prefer Discovery tours. PS they are excellent and the kayaking at Cape Trib is fantastic on a clear day you may see turtles or stingrays.

Day 2 snorkelling w Wavelength- great also pre book this one because Oct is a busy time.

Day 3- full day kayaking w BCBA. Great! Snapper Is is only accessible if you have your own boat/water transport such as kayaks. There is no organised tour that goes there with big boats, so if you do this tour you will have the most beautiful tropical island all to yourselves! With gourmet lunch of course! I would recommend pre book on this one, it is weather dependant ie if its blowing a gale, then its too uncomfortable and tour will cancel, but should be safe in Oct, generally calm conditions.

If your hotel has been particularly helpful you should book the tours though them and they can add to your room account on arrival- there's no extra charge for them to do that. Otherwise, book directly with each company. Cheers.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on our PD itinerary

There's "Wait a while" Daintree Wilderness tour, leaving from PD at 3.00 pm for night wildlife viewing that may interests you. waitawhile.com.au/daintree-wilderness-experi…

georgiaonmymind
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on our PD itinerary

Hi BBYUKON,

Came across your question while reviewing our upcoming second trip to Port Douglas.

We visited with my family May last year and loved the area. This time we will be visiting minus the family which is a first ever for us.

Last year we did both Wavelength and Tony's Tropical Tours. Being well travelled folks, I would say that without any hesitation that these two were the best things we did during our stay in Port Douglas.

I did a review on Tony's dated June 20th 2008 but didn't get the opportunity to do one for Wavelength as it kept blocking me out. Anyway we have once again booked on Tony's Tropical Tours, this time to do the Bloomfield tour, a longer tour but more to see.

If you have the opportunity,do try Sassis for a fine dining experience, a little expensive but well worth it. Zinc and Salsa were also favourites.

Best wishes

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on our PD itinerary

Thank you for the comments on the day tours and great info on the night tours. We have found two night life tours from PD...Waitahwile is almost $300 per person (8 hours..dinner max 6 people)...Back Country Bliss is $70 per person (3 hours). Hmm Can someone advise me on either of these tours?

B

5. Re: Advice on our PD itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 05:48