We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book now or later

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Book now or later

My wife and I staying in PD for six days in mid December, and during that time would like to go on a rainforest tour, go out to the barrier reef (possibly twice) and go white water rafting. I've seen the information posted on other messages about the best operators but was wondering whether it was best to book now or wait until I get there - i.e. are prices better locally than on the web and on the other hand do the better tours sell out quickly?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book now or later

in two minds about this one. you will be there in the middle of our summer break so it could be very crowded, but equally the weather is unreliable during the wet season. definately leave the reef tours until you get here and see what the weather is doing, as for the others, you will need advice from the local posters on this one.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Book now or later

Mid december in Port Douglas can get quite hectic,with school holidays in other states and also the influx of overseas families in the area looking for warmer weather.

Personally, I would suggest for you to wait until you arrive.You have six days to juggle tours around if need be.

I would on arrival, ask reception on a weather update/ wind situation and pick the best day for the reef and book it straight away, so that you don't miss out.

Re: white water rafting, Raging Thunder only pick up from Port Douglas for the Tully River on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

They also do a half day one to the Barron River.

RnR pick up 6 days a week,for the Tully River.They have just cancelled the Sunday pick up.

Rainforest tours run daily, so you can fit that in anywhere in between.

Prices will not change whether you book locally or on the web.

Although with the price of fuel going up, you may find a few operators may add a surcharge shortly on their website price. If you do decide to book ahead, ask if the will honour the price, should there be an increase.

Regarding the better tours. Yes, they do book out quickly. So if you decide on one in particular,try and book it as soon as you arrive.

Hope all this will assist you.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book now or later

Wait and book the day before when you know what the day will be like. There are a lot of good operators and you should be able to get a spot. Prices would be the same locally. See my Port Douglas forum May 15 post for tips.