We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a couple?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for a couple?

My boyfriend and I will be in PD for a short break, only 4 days. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay (hotel/resort or apartment), mid range? I've read some great things about Mai Tai...

Also, from what I've read from this forum, is it better to do Cape Trib/Mossman/Daintree on your own and not through a tour operator? Is it easy to do? Are there any other tours that are a 'must do'. We want to make the most of our short time here...

We will be renting a car and drive from Cairns.

Appreciate any feedback, thank you!

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Brett's Outback Tasting Adventures
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Daintree Tours
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Brett's Kuranda Half Day Tour
Private Tours, Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
central coast nsw
Level Contributor
527 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for a couple?

Sorry to sound so blunt but our recommendation on Pt D is..... Give the place a miss.

Went there earlier this year - hated it.

There was a thread running on here around 2-3 weeks ago & there were quite a few others with similar feelings.

Try this link to the thread

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for a couple?

Hi Sydney Rocks, Majority enjoy Port but those that don't really don't. Sometimes hard to figure out if that is what people want or not.

Mai Tai is not in Port Douglas, though it is the closest town. So would depend on whether you feel you will be back and forth to eat, shop etc.

Easy to do Cape Trib on your own. Just drive up the highway and turn right. Not far. You could organise little tours to learn some basics like with Cooper Creek Wilderness, indigenous tours and the jungle surfing.

The reef of course.

You could consider one night south as it has tons to do, lets us know..also include time of year.

Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for a couple?

Port Douglas is a massive tourist destination for good reason, and will refain in this forum to tell shaz russ what I really think of above comments.

Mai Tai has had the number one Trip Advisor rating for PD area for years now. It is expensive (but absolutely amazing every thing is taken care of) I would not describe as mid-range. It is slightly out of town in a beautiful secluded area. Have a look at Accommodation section of TA for more details- and there should be heaps of reviews on there too. Maybe something like Reflections, Beaches, Treetops, Port Sea or Beach Club may suit. There is also a website called "WOTIF" that does good hotel rates.

2 options for Daintree - no one is "better" just different expreinces. Taking a tour is relaxing as you don't have to think about navigating and you have a knowledgable guide to explain things about the rainforest, the region and to help find wildlife. It is possible to drive here on you own and go exploring- heaps of people do it this way. The roads are easy to drive and things are marked clearly. Just depends if you like your indepandance, or would prefer someone else doing hte driving. See how you feel when you get to PD. personally I think taking a tour is worth the $ you will spend on it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for a couple?

Thanks for the input! will check out the links, and of course will check out the reef.

5. Re: Recommendations for a couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 06:18