We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Sydney
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

I booked 4 days at a condo place called "A Tropical night" on wotif.com - what a mistake! When the 3 of us arrived, the accomodation was very disappointing with a bathroom that smelled quite bad and old tired furnishing. But the worst was the man at the check in! When we discovered there was no broadband internet access, I began to discuss it with our group and he immediatelytook it personally and began to abuse me telling me what a horrible person I was. I asked about canceling our stay and he made sure i signed a paper - I later found out had I not signed, I could have gotten 3 of the 4 nights back, but since I did sign, I lost $1000 USD. Further, when he asked me to sign, he handed me a pen that didnt work so I asked for another. that one also did not work. He ripped it from my hand, threw it across the room and further abused me!!!! I was utterly shocked. We immediately departed and stayed elsewhere. I would caution anyone to stay away from that horrible place. I cant imagine what that man is like in daily life when he can't even control his temper when a pen doesn't work.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Hi, There is a review section for accomodation (look left) under vacation rentals. Or under hotels. Owners then have right to reply whereas on a forum they may never realise there is an issue.

Sydney
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

tried to find this hotel under hotels but it was not listed. the management is well aware of what happened clearly since the fellow was the one doing the pen throwing

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Port Douglas properties are more bad than good. You pay just to be there, not for the room you stay in. Majority of rooms are below standard. Very ordinary. Same old, same old for Port Douglas.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Just wondering verdant, how many accommodation places in Port Douglas have you stayed in?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Falconby

Too many times, maybe for a total of 3 months in 2 years when we worked up there.

Very ordinary experience which is seconded by reviews here on TA. 3 from top 5 are not even in Port Douglas. Very many suggest run down and dirty conditions in many properties. I would lie if I said the rooms in Port Douglas equalled the star rating they assign themselves. Too many basic small downmarket apartments that have views of fences or other apartments. Correct me if I am wrong. :)

Very nice to drive into town with landscaped road. Yet most resorts that look so inviting along this drive 3 star at the best once you check in. I guess the selling price proves this point. Always cheap as chips to buy a holiday apartment in PD,. Not a great investment.

But this investment issue brings me to the point why there is a problem. People come and enjoy and while on holiday buy real estate.The developer that sells it them has a nice shiny brochure. So no tourism expert involved here. People selling and buying real estate with zero tourist expertise! In a town with no other industry! So no wonder now that 1/3 the units cannot be sold and massive over supply of units. When you have this situation how can accommodations be maintained to high standard? Impossible!

Not to mention that most profits land in the wholesaler pocket, do you disgaree?

Just a bunch of very ordinary run down apartments hidden behind a nice facade. The good rooms fetch more than harbour view rooms in Sydney..yet have no view! Just small tiles craze in bathroom I guess.

My opinion.!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Then don't get me started on reef trips!

Port Douglas is closer to the reef they scream! Yet it takes an hour to get to PD. Then if on a slow boat actually takes longer to get there even if closer? Then some only visit one reef. More time on the reef they say! Yes because they have nowhere else to go to! So OK closer to outer reef but cost more to get there? ? ? Hello not all of us are that numerically challenged.

So pay more for room, pay more for reef, pay more for ordinary food.

Personal choice, if a resort stay is what peole want they pay for landscaping and small tiles in bathroom and are happy to,then fine.

I am firmly in the Mission beach camp when they say they hope it never, ever becomes another Port Douglas.

Each to their own.

CENTRAL COAST...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

Tropical Nights is in the Specialty list for hotles!! - you should write a review - as they all sound positive!!!

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

What a shame you had this experience. I've not been to Mission Beach Verdant and will next time I'm up that way but I have to say that I love Port Douglas... however when I go I prefer to book a rental holiday house rather than stay in a complex such as a resort or condo. If you had researched and found your research to indicate that there are no problems with this property then I advise that you immediately put in your review so that others do not have a similar experience. I have not encountered "A Tropical night" in my own research which suggests that it would have been rated 3 stars or so? if so then many of those types of places, as Verdant says, can be sub standard when it comes to traveller expectations. Can I ask how much they were charging per night ? I looked at wotif and they aren't listed at the moment but there are some very good properties listed for around $200 per night so was confused as to why you would end up losing $1000 US for a 4 night stay in what was obviously a lower rated property than those I just looked at....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

I'm confused too. Why would an Aussie poster talking about accom in Australia quote in US Dollars. Doesn't make sense to me & makes the whole complaint a bit fishy.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of scary condos (A Tropical Night)and scary owners!!!

The OP's screen name is 'expat' - perhaps they paid prior to arrival? Perhaps they only have a US card?

We may never know...