We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

Sydney
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

Hi,

My husband and I will be traveling to Port Douglas 2 weeks later and are interested in going snorkeling at Low Isles.

Both Sailaway and Wavedancer offer tour to Low Isles, I am not quite sure which one is better or suited for me and my husband. I have never snorkeled before but can swim, my husband has snorkeled once but he can't swim well. Reading some of the comments here Sailaway may be a better choice as the tour starts a little earlier (I assume u get more hours at Low Isles?) and there are less people on the boat (33 max), so you get more attention especially for me first time snorkeler but there is a $30 different and some ppl say you may get seasick as the boat is smaller.

Anyone traveled with Sailaway or Wavedancer to Low Isles, which one do you recommends?

Sydney
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

I forgot to mention, is Nov peak season, do you need to book in advance? Or we can book when we get there on Sat for a Monday tour?

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

i havent been to low isles but know that the best coral etc. is the outer reef.

We have been with a few of the different companies and they are all good - even if you can't swirm they have life jackets etc. and if you can't swim too well you can just grab a noodle which keeps you afloat. If you are not confident you just tell the crew and they look after you.

It does take a while to get to the outer reef but it is worth it. Best to spend as much time out on the reef as you can anyway. They give you buffet lunch etc and you will have a really good day.

Some of the big companies have a pontoon, semi-subs etc. - just depends what you are looking for.

If the seas are a bit rough you are better to be on the big boats cause they handle it better and you are less likely to get sick.

Enjoy!

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

PS - we were there in November and had no trouble getting on a tour. Wait until you get there and check out the weather, seas etc. - you can book the day before!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

It's been a number of years since I did the tour to the Low Isles on Sailaway, but it was a very enjoyable trip. We chose Sailaway because our kids had never snorkeled before and it had been a long time since I had snorkeled. We also liked the fact that they only took around 30 people on the boat.

Since that first trip to the Low Isles, we have been to the Outer Reef several times. It's true that there is more to see if you go to the Outer Reef, but we saw plenty of coral, fish and sea turtles at the Low Isles. We liked being able to just sit on the beach when we got tired of snorkeling and Sailaway also offers a glass-bottom boat ride which I did with one of my children and we enjoyed that.

I am very susceptible to sea-sickness, but I had absolutely no problem on the Sailaway trip.

So, I would say that a trip to the Low Isles would be a good option for you and your husband. If you enjoy that trip and have the time, you might want to later do a trip to the Outer Reef. (If you do go to the Outer Reef, I'd recommend going with Wavelength. They are a snorkel-only boat which takes only about 30 people on their boats. They are very good with first-timers or apprehensive snorkelers.)

mar
Central Coast Sydney
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

We went on Sailwaway about a month ago and LOVED it - you get there about an hour or so before Wavedancer - so you kind of have the island all to yourselves for an hour or so - then the invasion begins lol!!! - we loved it was worth the extra $$$. oh to be back there now!

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

Sailaway.

Yes, pre book to avoid any last minute disappointment as this trip is very popular.

Sydney
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

Thanks guys for your replies :)

One more thing, does sailaway provides wet suits? and do you have to swim far from the beach to see anything?

I have been checking the weather forecast and it is raining/cloudy in the next few days for Port Douglas, so don't think I will book ahead in case it is showering on the 4 days that we are there.

8. Re: Low Isles - Sailaway or Wavedancer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas