We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday dinner

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday dinner

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Port Douglas in June this year to celebrate his 30th bday. I'd like to take him out for a nice dinner and Nautilus appears to be the obvious choice, though it is quite expensive. Can anyone recommend alternatives that are equally as nice but perhaps not as pricey?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday dinner

Hi

I would go to the sala bar, This is by far the best restuarant in Port douglas.

Look the salsa bar website also. Lunch and Dinner both fantastic.

You would need to book as June is peak period.Nautilus is nice, all though

extremely expensive most locals only go once and that's it. you wont be disappointed.

Scorpio

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday dinner

Watergarte is also nice and a great atmosphere. Nice lounges for pre dinner cocktails.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday dinner

Hi,

Salsa Bar as mentioned is terrific.

2Fish restaurant is also good and we also liked BistroC but thats more casual.

EM.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday dinner

My husband and I went to Nautilus for our anniversary whilst we were on holiday in PD. We came from Melbourne at the time, where we were used to so many great restaurants, and so our expectations for Nautilus were extremely high. When we arrived we thought it was absolutely amazing, it is one of the best restaurant settings as you feel like you really are in the middle of a rainforest. We had champagne in the bar, it was great! Sadly it went downhill after that. The food was just not that great. Not that is was bad, it was just very bland, unexciting and not worth the money. So, if you are a foodie and expect great things, you may be disapointed. I think the food at the Salsa bar was far better, and best of all for us was Sassy at peppers Bale, absolutely fantastic food there! Hope this helps.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday dinner

Yep, great suggestions here. One comment however, Sassi at Bale is now closed.

It depends really what sort of atmosphere you want. Salsa has great food but all tables will be full and they do turn tables- so busy in the evenings.

If you want a quieter expereince where you can hang around all night, go for Watergate, or Buccis (Italian style)

6. Re: Birthday dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:16