We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hi all,

Just hoping to get some suggestions on where we should spend the last 4 nights of our honeymoon (we are staying 3 nights in the Daintree).

Our first thought was to stay at the Peninsula Boutique, as the majority of reviews are quite positive, and I really like the no kids policy :-) However after reading more, although everyone is happy with their rooms, it seems to be more of a low-key unit style complex, with non- extravagant (albeit really nice) less resorty stlye rooms. Am I right about this?

We both really like the idea of having a resort style accomadation with nice villas or bungalows or something, and thus have looked at the sea temple or thala (we will be renting a car), but don't like the idea of listening to screaming kids the whole time (or any of the time for that matter, hehe). However, looking at the school holiday charts, non of Australia is in holidays at this time. Has anyone been to either of these resorts at this time, or know if there are still lots of kids around? Is there anyway to avoid it by staying in certain rooms at either of these places?

Also, does anyone have a comparison of these two places in terms of accomadation and facilities. In terms of Thala becah lodge, It looks to be located about 10-15 minutes drive out of town, is there anywhere other than the resort around there to eat or get drinks? We would like to try some different restaurants and not have to drive home (we like wine :) Is the beach nice in that area, most of the reviews I read were about the resort. Is there anything to do in the area short of driving the 10 mins to Port Douglas? Snorkelling equipment provided etc.

Finally we will arrive in Port Douglas around the 25th of May, from what I have read the stingers are gone by this time, and the water is nice for swimming, am I right with this?

Thanks,

Tom

Wavelength Reef Charters
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Blue Dive Port Douglas
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
ABC Scuba Diving Port Douglas
Private Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Reef Sprinter
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hi Tom. My husband and I are struggling with these same issues in planning our trip to Port Douglas. We want to stay in a luxury resort within walking distance of Port Douglas, that isn't overrun with kids. Peppers Beach Club looks like the only true resort within walking distance of PD, and it would be our first choice but there are reports that it is kid central. The other two options we are considering are Coconut Grove apartments and Mandalay apartments, and they both look luxurious but they are not resorts. We also haven't ruled out Thala, but like you, we want to be within stumbling distance of our room in case we enjoy a few too many glasses of wine at dinner! It seems no place fits the bill completely. Anyway, I'll report back on our return and hopefully that will help with your planning. Our trip is at the end of this month.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hi Tom, If you are having your first few nights in the Daintree (I am assuming the Eco Lodge) then I would recommend that when you get to Port you stay at Peninsular. It is in the heart of town, opposite the beach and close to all the restaurants etc. It has a lovely little restaurant, high tide, on site as well. Thala is absolutely beautiful, however the experience would be very similar to the Daintree accommodation. There is most likely still stingers, we usually get the nets out of the water by Carnivale (last weekend in May) but didnt happen this year. So no guarantee of that. At least if you are the peninsular then you are just accross the road from the stinger nets for a swim.

Sea Temple is trully world class, but its just a resort thats located 5 km from the main street, so you would need transport to get in and out of town. But that said, again it really is an excellent facility. Good luck with your planning.

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Ok, thanks guys. Please let me know what you decided on and how it went Sanfran...

Hmmm...stingers still in May. We might Have to look at alternative locations. We are water sports enthusiasts and want to be able to snorkel, kite surf and swim without a suit..

Thanks again guys :-)

Wellngton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hello Tom

My partner and I are also looking for accommodation in PD for our Honeymoon, staying 13/14 nights end of April/May 2011!

I have thoroughly researched accommodation and had picked the peninsula, but after reading an indepth review from a well travelled businessman end of October, we will not be staying there, at all!

So far our picks are: Coconut Grove, Saltwater Luxury Apartments, Mandalay and maybe Reflections which are right in the heart of PD! As we're staying longer than 7 nights, we want a full kitchen to cook, must hav Lounge/ Dining areas and of course a place for some sunbathing and relaxing!

Good Luck!!

Wellngton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hello Tom

My partner and I are also looking for accommodation in PD for our Honeymoon, staying 13/14 nights end of April/May 2011!

I have thoroughly researched accommodation and had picked the peninsula, but after reading an indepth review from a well travelled businessman end of October, we will not be staying there, at all!

So far our picks are: Coconut Grove, Saltwater Luxury Apartments, Mandalay and maybe Reflections which are right in the heart of PD! As we're staying longer than 7 nights, we want a full kitchen to cook, must hav Lounge/ Dining areas and of course a place for some sunbathing and relaxing!

Good Luck!!

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Its horses for courses. Tom I believe was after resort style accommodation, not self contained. Peninsular would also be a lot more romantic as it is only 1 bedroom apartments and no kids. The other complexes that were just mentioned have 2 or even 3 bedroom apartments and are fully self contained, so not resort style. Also, dont neccesarily believe one negative review.

Best of luck, it certainly is hard trying to find something suitable over the internet isnt it :-)

Cairns
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hey first of all congrats!

Check out Palm Cove as it is a cute little village just 25 mins north of Cairns and 45 mins south of Port Douglas. No need for car here as all resorts are on the beachfront esplanade. you will have kids no matter where you go as no resorts have a kids free policy however May is not vacation time so you will not see many of the munchkins at all. As far as swimming is concerened check this out cairnsattractions.com.au/cairns-jellyfish.php No problems at all!

Look at these guys for Palm Cove and ask their advice www.palmcoveaustralia.com they also know Port Douglas as well. when in doubt go ask a local!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

Hi Tom, We had a similar problem when we were looking at our honeymoon accommodation. Wanted resort-style accommodation walking distance from town in case we wanted a few cocktails after dinner :) We ended up at Peninsula but to cut a long story short we were unhappy with the accommodation. You can read my review if you really do want the full story.

Anyway, after a 2 hour walk around town inspecting other accommodation, we ended up at Saltwater. Beautifully decorated apartments and lovely hosts. Best part is it's smack bang in the middle of the main street. Yes, they are self-contained, but we're not 'laze by the pool' people so we were more than happy with the pool there. We returned there the following year we were so happy with everything. Again, you can read my Saltwater review if you want to know more about what I think there too :)

Whatever you decide enjoy your honeymoon!! And congrats! :)

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

May I make a suggestion. If your budget is healthy why not try Peppers Bale, it seems to be verything that you are looking for and more. Aboslutely blissful. Not within walking distance to town but only a few minutes on the shuttle. Not sure but they may even have complimentary shuttle to take you in and out- why not ask?

They are still advertsing their high rates at the moment because it's still a holiday period but maybe check back in a few weeks and you may find the rates dropping.

10. Re: Honeymoon end of May - Peninsula, Sea Temple or Thala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 06:20