We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Service Hotel in PD?

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Full Service Hotel in PD?

Hubby & I will be staying in Cairns for 2 nights, then diving with SOF for 3 nights. We were looking at then staying 4 nights in Port but I am having trouble finding full service hotels rather than apartments.

Is there full service availability here for less than $350/night? We want to be close to the water and not inland.

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

You don't say when you are staying. The Sheraton has cheap rates up until end of March. portdouglasinfo.com/accRates/Resorts/105/…

I know their occupancy has been very poor recently - so if you are coming after March you may be able to get a deal by contacting the hotel direct.

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Thanks - and I thought I included all the relevant info :)

We will be there right around Easter - the dates for Port Douglas would be April 21-24. When we originally made plans for our anniversary trip I did not realize Easter was so late this year, so I know we are competing with holiday travelers.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Ah well then that will be difficult as its full on holiday time around Australia - so hotels will be charging full rates.

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Thank you for your response. The more I look the more I want to stay in Port - maybe we'll look at the apartment style accommodations.

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Sheraton Mirage

Sea Temple

Bale

PS I don't want to create waves, but I don't know how the poster from Adelaide could know about occupancy at a resort in Port Douglas. All accommodation houses are offering "deals" at the moment in our competitive climate.

Port Douglas is great, you'll love it!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Maybe because I have a close relationship with the owners of one of the Sheraton villas???? - and also work within a travel related business!

You just never know who knows what!!!!!!

And by the way lots of people from Adelaide Travel to PD regularly - some of my friends and colleagues even live up there part time- so you may be very surprised at what we know about goings on in PD.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 07:15
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

PS Could I also point out that there are DEs for Fiji who live in Brisbane, DEs for Tasmania who live in NSW, DEs for Hamilton Island who live in Sydney, DEs for Thailand who also live in Sydney, DEs for Uluru who also live in Sydney (I could go on) - apparently according to the logic being applied above they wouldnt know much either!

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Jen - thank you for your suggestions. I will check into them. We have been looking at By The Sea (no email response yet about availability), Beaches (a little pricey), Freestyle (no ocean view, but free wifi and great price), or Balboa (but they only have ground floor available).

Danette

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Yep, By the Sea and Freestyle both really nice properties. Hope you get on to either one. Cheers.

California
Level Contributor
15 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Full Service Hotel in PD?

Ok one more question then we have to decide as By The Sea is booked and others will be soon . . . what do you think of Mantra PortSea or Rydges Sabaya? Freestyle is closer to town, Mantra & Rydges seem to be closer to the beach. Many of the reviews refer to "tired" accommodations but Freestyle does not have any complaints. We very much enjoy sitting on the balcony in the evenings enjoying the view and want a quiet location.

Thanks again,

Danette