We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Port Douglas- May2006

Which Port Douglas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cranford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
91 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Port Douglas- May2006

We will be flying into Cairns and spending 5 nights in the area..I think we have decided to position ourselves in Port Douglas for all 5 nights, and making our day trips from there rather than move from one hotel to another. Any suggestions for accomodations??Ive looked into all the earlier suggestions and I like the Peninsula, the Hibiscus Gardens and the Sheraton Mirage...thoughts?

Also, there is SO much to do in the region, but we don't want to be running around everyday- we'd like to relax as well. We are definately going to take a trip to the GBR (probably with wavelength as we don't dive- just snorkel) but what would be your next top 2 choices for must-sees? All help is greatly appreciated- Id be lost without these boards!! Thanks :)

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Port Douglas- May2006

Personally, I'd go Peninsula first,Hibiscus,next choice and Sheraton last.

My decision is purely based, that you'd love Peninsula being a child free resort, on the Esplanade,can get pool or ocean views,breakfast overlooking the ocean,close to all amenities, such as shops and restaurants and patrolled beach at your doorstep with the choice of relaxing on sun lounges and beach umbrellas ( that can be hired)at the beach if you'd like total relaxation for an hour or all day.

I would also look at only doing tours every second day and relax in between and enjoy your free time at the beach,lunching,shopping,having a massage...

Wavelength is a good choice for non divers,with small nimbers a great tour choice.

Next ,Tony's Tropical Tours to the Daintree/Cape Tribulation and Mossman Gorge, a great tour, with great feedback and reviews.All day tour and again another reason to have a rest day after it.

Once you'd done the Reef and the Rainforest( the really must two to do), the 3rd choice would really depend on your interests.

Suggestions, an all day tour to Skyrail/Kuranda/Tjapukai.

Breakfast with the Birds at the Rainforest Habitat,where you can see Australian natives up close.(Koalas,kangaroos etc)

White Water Rafting, if you're adventurous.

Hot air Ballooning,if the budget permits,or half day sailing to Low Isles, leaving noon and returning as the sun sets, quite romantic..just to name a few.

There is so much to do in the area, you centainly won't be bored,if you'd like to do something in particular,let me know for more suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Port Douglas- May2006

My husband & I stayed at the Peninsula November '03 and loved it. No children allowed and very quiet. We found the studio apartments small but adequate with a great bathroom. Breakfast by the pool's waterfall very relaxing and it was a 5 minute walk to the plentiful restaurants in Macrossan Street every night. We found the staff very helpful.

For a bit of fun try the cane toad racing at the Iron Bar restaurant.

For something different, we also hired a convertible for the day and went to the Mossman Gorge, braved the cold water there and then drove to Hartley's Crocodile Farm - well worth going to. Of course GBR is a must and we thoroughly enjoyed the skyrail/Kuranda experience.