We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire Car in Port douglas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Hire Car in Port douglas

Hi All,

Any advice on best hire car company in Port Douglas would be very appreciated. Just for a day or two.

Thank you,

mimi

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

We usally go with Avis as they have an office at the airport so you can use the car for your return trip to the airport. Thrifty also have offices at port and the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

oh, thanks for that, sounds good :)

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

Also compare Budget (their office in Port is next door to Avis), we sometimes find them to be cheaper . . . . .

pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

There are a few car rentals in Port Douglas and you would be best to compare all prices. Besides the likes of Avis and Budget there are a few local companies that will deliver great service.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

I am also after car hire in Port Douglas but wish to hire a convertible for some wind in your hair driving. Do any companies offer this option?

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
pd for now
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

Paradise wheels in Port Douglas is a locally owned company that should be able to help you out, otherwise try the likes of Avis or Budget.

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

I had planned to pick up my car from Hertz in Cairns and drive to PD. I am getting in much later than I thought because they cancelled my flight and put me on a later one that stops in Brisbane. It will be a long night. I am confused because I did not realize there was an airport in PD. If the airport is at Cairns I hope I am not misled that there is a Hertz counter. I will be arriving very late.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

no airport in PD. airport car rental desks will usually remain open to cater to all arriving flights.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 02:57
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

check with hertz that they will still be open and give them new flight details.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hire Car in Port douglas

I went with Budget (in PD not the airport) when I was there the other week as I use them a lot here in Melbourne. To me the service was friendly, well because you're on holiday and it's a nice slow town so people usually have time to answer any q's you have!

Don't remember the cost, but usually they are cheaper than the other majors. Otherwise go for eastcoast car rentals. The prices I saw for them are really cheap!

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia