We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas weather

sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas weather

I was intending to travel to port douglas for the first week in april - can someone please advise if the weather will be nice then or am i better advised to travel somewhere less tropical in queensland?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas weather

Hard to say.I would love to guarantee you a postcard picture of Port Douglas,but the reality is that, we have not received anywhere near our normal rainfall for the year.

Long weather forecast.....who really knows...

All I can say, is that it's normally a good time to be in Port Douglas,should be the tailend of the WET !!!but believe me, you'll still have a great time no matter what the weather holds. The Outer Reef is still glorious,and can sometimes be totally different weather wise than the coast.

The only other thing that I can add, is that,if you look at previous years weather patterns,April is normally wetter south around the Whitsundays/Mackay areas than up here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas weather

We're thinking about travelling to Port Douglas after Christmas and wondering what to expect weather-wise in January. I know we can't swim at the beach, but what kind of maximums and minimum temps should we expect, and is it still wet during the wet?! If so, does it tend to rain in the afternoon, or could we expect all day rain?

Daintree
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas weather

the original post is from 2006, but here's the reply for the last comment posted a few days ago in 2008.

Jan is in the wet season. It goes from Christmas to Easter, and during this time the best way to describe the weather is unpredictable. It may be beautiful sunny weather for a whole week, or it may rain CONSTANTLY for a week too. There is no particular pattern, rhyme or reason to it. But this is what makes it exciting about visiting FNQ dring the wet. It can be extremely relaxing as you will have lots of time for reading, dining and listening and enjoying the rain, you MAY not be able to get out and do heaps of exploring, then again, you MAY get lucky with sunshine too....

PD is friendly all year round and always a wonderful destination no matter if its raining!