We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Port Douglas

Sydney
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
5 Days in Port Douglas

HI All,

We ( my husband and 4 year old boy ) are planning a trip to Port Douglas and Cairns.

It would be 5 days each. Can some one suggest be the attraction and things to do ... We like to snorkling and if possible diving .. Any markets in port douglas ?? Some nice Spa ??

Do suggest great hotels to stay ?? We plan to go on 6th Oct this year till 12th Oct ( inclusive cairns and port douglas)

Cheers

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

Although it was for early Nov 2010 check out my trip report. Might help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255070-i737-k4080…

Sydney
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

It is really helpful .. Thank you Dublin

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

Hi,

Are you hiring a car ??

For snokelling tour - Quicksilver http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/

Plenty of tours available in PD to see Mossman Gorge, Daintree River Cruise and Cape Tribulation.

http://www.tropicaltours.com.au/

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

We loved hiring a car in port and driving up to Cape Trib- which is great. On the way is the skywalk through the rainforest.

You can also rent a 4wd and drive and go furtehr up the Bloomfeld Track

We have hired bikes and ridden around Port which is great- you can even ride on the beach.

Mossman gorge is a great day trip ,

Another favourite is driving up to the Atherton Tablelands to Mareeba for a real look at a country farmin town where some great coffee is grown. Its a beautiful drive and definately a day trip.

We have done snorkelling tours- would recommed to the outer reef and not lower isles as this gets pretty crowded.

We stay in apartments and a hotel right on the beach which is great.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest tours should be done from Port Douglas as the quality and closeness to the destinations make sense. Most of the tours departing from Cairns go via Port Douglas to reach their destination anyway. Also the beaches in and around Port are natural and unspoiled. Car rental is a good idea as you can see more on your own than with a tour bus and have more flexible days at around the same price.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

thank your for uer input .... you guys a really helpful...

Sydney
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

Thank you all for all the useful tips .. I must say , I have got maximum number of unputs and suggestion from port douglas forums.. you guys simply rock :)

Montreal, Que
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

Dublin could you explain why the reefs were bleached on the Quicksilver reef tour to the Outer Barrier reef. I read your link.

We will be in Cairns for 5 days (begining next week :-) ) Then on to Port Douglas for week. I was planning doing the same reef tour. Would you recommend another tour? Was it disappointing?

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

Hi, it was really just my opinion. I have never been to any other reef's, so maybe they are all less colourful then the 'ideal' TV image. Maybe someone who has been to a few different Reef's could confirm.

It was still a fantastic experience, and I would do it again, which is always a good measure!

Montreal, Que
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Days in Port Douglas

thanks Dubin for your response. Bags are packed..we're on our way today...woohooo